Options

Migrate 2003 R2 Standard to 2012 Essentials Possible?

les_gartenles_garten Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a 2003 R2 Std server that needs to go to 2012 Essentials.

Is there a work around for this?

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Probably the best option is to just duplicate the set up on the newer OS. Get the documentation for what services are running on 2003 and their config, and set them up the same on the 2012 box.

If you need to migrate AD, then the standard procedure of joining the new box to the domain, promote to DC, move the roles off the old box, decommission the old boxes and raise the functional level, is probably the way to go.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Probably the best option is to just duplicate the set up on the newer OS. Get the documentation for what services are running on 2003 and their config, and set them up the same on the 2012 box.

If you need to migrate AD, then the standard procedure of joining the new box to the domain, promote to DC, move the roles off the old box, decommission the old boxes and raise the functional level, is probably the way to go.

The 2003 server only does Logins, file serving, DNS and DHCP

I thought that you couldn't join the Essentials to the Standard domain? Everything I read about domain migration mode says it won't work with Standard >> Essentials

I just did a 2003 >> 2008 and went without a hitch. It seems I am in a pickle with the Standard >> Essentials migration
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Ah, I get what you mean. Yeah, AD is crippled in Essentials, in slightly different ways in 2012 and 2012r2.

What's the environment? Do you have other servers running as Domain Controllers, or is it this one server you are trying to upgrade? Is the 2003 a DC and you want the 2012 essentials to take over the DC role. Are they virtual or physical? Can you run side by side?

Possibly, you could export to ldif or cvs and import. That requires password resets, but will preserve most of the important stuff. But if you are really only dealing with 25 users, it might be quicker to recreate the accounts from scratch.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Hi,
    It is one 2003 R2 DC migrating to a New 2012 Essentials. Some file shares, DNS, and DHCP, 5 workstations or so, a few users. Small Dr's office.

I am preparing like I am just going to start from scratch. Mainly wanting to not lose the profiles on the desktops.

Les
  • Options
    Was hoping someone had a trick up their sleeve.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    les_garten wrote: »
    Hi,
    It is one 2003 R2 DC migrating to a New 2012 Essentials. Some file shares, DNS, and DHCP, 5 workstations or so, a few users. Small Dr's office.

I am preparing like I am just going to start from scratch. Mainly wanting to not lose the profiles on the desktops.

Les

I had to dig around a little, I was unaware of this limitation. You can preserve the user profiles with some simple documentation and data transfering...will it take more time? Yes. Will it work? Yes.

Depending on what kind of pressure you are under to get this done, you might have some fun and script out the profile migration process. If thats not your thing, just document/move to external HD the following:

*Email (outlook) settings (exchange, pop, imap) - usernames, passwords, hosts, ports, NK2 file, signitures, etc...
    *My docs
    *My etc...(everything under the users profile folder)
    *Screen resolutions, desktop backgrounds
    *UAC settings
    *Local admin?
    *printers / drivers / configs
    *mapped drives
    *disabled offline files?
    *Static IP? or DHCP?

That will cover 95% of what the user will notice with a new profile. This should be doable by 1 person in a normal work day if you do it all manually.
  • Options
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I had to dig around a little, I was unaware of this limitation. You can preserve the user profiles with some simple documentation and data transfering...will it take more time? Yes. Will it work? Yes.

Depending on what kind of pressure you are under to get this done, you might have some fun and script out the profile migration process. If thats not your thing, just document/move to external HD the following:

*Email (outlook) settings (exchange, pop, imap) - usernames, passwords, hosts, ports, NK2 file, signitures, etc...
    *My docs
    *My etc...(everything under the users profile folder)
    *Screen resolutions, desktop backgrounds
    *UAC settings
    *Local admin?
    *printers / drivers / configs
    *mapped drives
    *disabled offline files?
    *Static IP? or DHCP?

That will cover 95% of what the user will notice with a new profile. This should be doable by 1 person in a normal work day if you do it all manually.

I am thinking of looking into this: https://www.forensit.com/domain-migration.html

There is a personal version that is free.

I have an advantage, there is not outlook or exchange, mainly bookmarks, web passwords, etc stuff like that.