Options

My position is being eliminated (Resume Advice)

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just found out that my position will most likely be eliminated soon along with quite a few others. I'm trying to break into a dedicated IT Security role, it's what I do with 90% of my time anyway right now. Was wondering if I could get some tips on my resume. Also, if anybody has any leads on IT Security positions in the South Puget Sound area, please let me know.

Thanks!

Anon%20Resume_zpsgy5pm7pl.jpg
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I prefer the experience section to be laid out with a small paragraph explaining the duties. Then bullet points highlighting projects, accomplishments, etc. I'd also add in a professional summary at the top with a few sentences summing up your experience and expertise.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Your cert game is strong. Shouldn't have an issue getting tons of hits from recruiters if you make your resume available on Indeed and also make sure your LinkedIn profile is updated and visible to all.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CISM, CISSP, and GIACs would get you instant interviews at any of the 10 or so unfilled security postings in my area that have been unfilled for getting close to a year. Good enough for me, other than I recommend providing additional materials depending on the role. So, if you're interviewing for a role that's going to be creating policies and standards documents, add a few that you've done as an appendix. Helps them see you know what you're doing (assuming you do)
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, with that resume you already make it with close ayes. Just put it Indeed, Dice and LinkedIn and man prepare to answer the phone
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am sorry you are going through this. I had my position eliminated and it hurts. Anyway, remember to say that your contract ended (sometimes that is just better than saying laid off).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not a huge fan of the layout of the resume, but yeaaaa. Like others have said, you should be able to post that and the only problem you will have is your phone ringing too much!
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i think you should consider getting a few more certifications.

*rimshot*

Other than that, i agree with others, you need a SUMMARY section at the TOP.
    In this section, spin/spell-out the position you are looking for.

Also, change the Title of your current position. Make it something like "Security Associate/Tech/Engineer".
    It's called ---> LYING

and it Works :]
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You would get job offers in DC instantly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, I am reworking my resume now and I have had a few interviews. One said the certifications are nice but I don't have enough "technical experience." I'm actually considering a move to DC or Colorado Springs kinda hoping not to right now for financial reasons.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know how other feel about this but if you are wanting a security role and your latest position does clearly emphasize security. I would go ahead and change your title. You would be amazed how a simple change like 'Lead Infrastructure Security Engineer' can place you in the right position.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would add the word "security" a few times in your job descriptions if there are security related responsibilities. Helps with the keyword searches on job boards.

I was big into Citrix years ago and kept getting calls for Citrix positions. I no longer was up to date with Citrix so I made sure to reword my resume to remove Citrix from my resume.
  • Options
    Thanks for the assistance everybody. I'm actually starting a new job for a Hospital system Monday. I'll be the Regional Information Security Analyst. I'm pretty stoked, I think it'll be a great stepping stone into full time IT Security. I'll mainly be doing risk assessments but will be involved with all aspects of IT security and be the right hand man of the Regional Information Security Officer.

What's funny is that I found out my position was being eliminated, then another guy on my team decided to move out of state and my boss got offered a new job. So I was offered a promotion to my boss's position but I turned it down which felt pretty good honestly.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good for you!!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....