Options

Getting Sent to A Sec+ Bootcamp this week

nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Navy making a bunch of people get this cert right now and my division is sending me off to a week long bootcamp so i guess im going to have to put CCNA on hold for a week.

How hard is Sec+ and is it any of use to someone who wants to get into networking?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's helpful, lots of general security stuff in there that you should also know too in networking. Hard to say how hard it is without knowing if you have any background in any of the material. It's not super high level, but it's all brand new it is a lot of material.
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a great entry level cert that provides a pretty stable foundation in InfoSec. Won't help much for networking but a lot of the material overlaps with the Network+ which is a good entry level networking cert.

Also, I've been to a military Sec+ bootcamp. Don't be surprised if you have to study some in your off time if you plan on taking the cert right after. It's the traditional military method of death by powerpoint: a million slides, reading slides word for word, no real memorization techniques other than cramming.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll run into a bunch of stuff that is common sense stuff, but there is a lot of good basic information on different areas in security as well though. You'll definitely find some stuff useful for networking too.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Please read all of the questions as they try to stump you if you read through them too fast.

Good Luck
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you ever been to any Bootcamp before?

Unless you already Know everything, and just need a "refresher" before the exam.... i do NOT recommend them.

What are your employer's expectations?
    Do they expect you to be certified within a month??

Hope not.
    Go try Prof Messer.
    Or grab Darril Gibson or David Prowse's book.
  • Options
    nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Have you ever been to any Bootcamp before?

Unless you already Know everything, and just need a "refresher" before the exam.... i do NOT recommend them.

What are your employer's expectations?
    Do they expect you to be certified within a month??

Hope not.
    Go try Prof Messer.
    Or grab Darril Gibson or David Prowse's book.

Pretty sure Navy wants us to take the test 1 week after we finish lol.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty sure Navy wants us to take the test 1 week after we finish lol.

ABANDON Ship!!
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    ABANDON Ship!!
    What if the OP is on a submarine?
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    What if the OP is on a submarine?

Technically speaking, most modern combatant submarines are large enough to be considered ships. Thus, the abandon ship terminology still applies.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Technically speaking, most modern combatant submarines are large enough to be considered ships. Thus, the abandon ship terminology still applies.
    What if the OP doesn't have scuba gear?
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    It's due to the DOD 8570 standard that military and contractors on DOD contracts are required to have Security + CE certifications.

http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would use Darril Gibson's book , practice exams and you should have no problems. Most of it is general security that you have most likely already been indoctrinated with in the military. Darril has very good, deep practice exams which are more difficult than the actual test along with practice simulation questions that are more than enough to prepare you for test day.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    What if the OP doesn't have scuba gear?

I'd imagine if a situatuion was bad enough, it could go to the surface and the crew could abandon ship from there.