Options

Avaya SR2330 Router help, please.

SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Not very long ago, a family friend of mine offered me a project. This project includes configuring a SR 2330 Avaya Router with a basic configuration. So, I am having some trouble using Telnet to connect to the router. He stated one of the interfaces will have an IP address of 172.26.1.2/24.

Physical interfaces include:
Fa0/1-4
Ge0/5-8
Console

I set my laptop's IP as 172.26.1.10/24. I've tried doing a 'ping -t 172.26.1.2' on each interface to see if the interface is up and I still cannot connect via Putty. Please help me.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why not just connect to the console so you don't have to guess where IPs are?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I tried using Telnet via Putty but you still need an IP address?
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Console connection is what you need to do.
  • Options
    No you don't need an IP for console. A little googling should get you on the right track.
  • Options
    I have my Ethernet cable connected to laptop > console port of the router. Started Putty, selected 'serial' then open. "Unable to connect COM1". Nothing seems to be working for me.

Edit: I did some research and some people suggest opening Device Manager (Windows 8.1) to view which COM port my computer is using, the thing is, it's not listed there...
  • Options
    You need a serial connection from your laptop, not an ethernet port. If your laptop doesn't have on you'll need something like a USB to serial adapter.
  • Options
    Ahhh, thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I am going to buy one tomorrow.
  • Options
    You need a serial connection from your laptop, not an ethernet port. If your laptop doesn't have on you'll need something like a USB to serial adapter.

I have serial to USB cable. Opened a serial connection on COM3 and it's just a blank screen... If I use COM1,2,4, and 5, it's unable to establish a connection. What could I troubleshoot?
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    With some Avaya switches, you need to press CTRL+Y after connecting to the console port with your terminal program.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    Make sure your serial settings are correct:

9600 bps— 8 data bits— 1 stop bit — No flow control— No parity
  • Options
    @elTorito I pressed CRTL+Y and still nothing happened.
    @Mow I double checked and they're exactly as you described.
  • Options
    Is this a new or used router? If it is re-purposed it could be that the baud rate on the console has been changed.
  • Options
    EDIT: I had to take out the flash card which for some reason was causing a vicious cycle upon start up. Thank you for responding.