Options

RHCA timeframe

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratulations Bodanel on your achievement, glad you made it.
    Will you be using official Red Hat course material to prepare or third party guides for RHCE?
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sander van Vugt's book which I find pretty good. I dont like the order of the chapters but the topics are explained very well. I also do lots of labs outside the book (I've build a kickstart,.pxe lab using virt-manager)
  • Options
    I agree on the quality of Sander's guide. Good explanations but good memory jogs at start and the end of chapter too.
    Just curious Bodanel, which one did you get first, Red Hat or pentest certificate?
  • Options
    Red Hat first, in 2012 if my memory is correct. Pentest to get a better understating on how to protect a network, wanted to see the other side.
  • Options
    asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    Found this link in regards to RHCA recertification process

RHCA: RHCA + Renewals (Part Two) – Red Hat Services Speak
  • Options
    GREAT INFO. I think it's pretty well explained there.
  • Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great info? Read again and you'll see that nothing changes. You still need 5 exams to maintain the RHCA status - there is no option for the current RHCAs for the renewal. If you are level 2 and the one exam expires you're demoted to RHCA Lv1. And you have to pass another exam to get back with Level 2. So basically - If you do all the RHCA exams in one year (as I did) you'll have to do the same each and every three years.
    And the discount for the ROLE ... they should create a discount program with reduced exam prices for the renewals - for example 30% for the each and every exam if someone has RHCA. You should get some benefits from your knowlegde proven by exams and for the money you already paid for the courses and exams.
  • Options
    Let me be clear. It's very well explained. But I agree with you that renewal policy sucks. You have no perks if you are RH certified. Only the reputation but it starts to drop when you have work experience. If my work wasnt paying I dont think I would go this way.
  • Options
    Bodanel wrote: »
    Let me be clear. It's very well explained. But I agree with you that renewal policy sucks. You have no perks if you are RH certified. Only the reputation but it starts to drop when you have work experience. If my work wasnt paying I dont think I would go this way.

I agree with you. The article is informative AND RH renewal policy sucks
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. I'll be right there with you; July or August for my RHCE exam as well.

How is your RHCE prep going? still on for July/August
  • Options
    Going pretty well. Still on target for August. Just checked Mariadb yesterday.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    asummers wrote: »
    How is your RHCE prep going? still on for July/August

I've lost motivation again, so probably August. Really I just need to commit configuring NIC teaming, iSCSI, NFS, and SMB to memory. I haven't labbed those items enough to remember all the steps. I feel confident with the rest of the objectives.
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    I've lost motivation again, so probably August. Really I just need to commit configuring NIC teaming, iSCSI, NFS, and SMB to memory. I haven't labbed those items enough to remember all the steps. I feel confident with the rest of the objectives.

If it's only those 4 elements then I would suggest trying to restart. It's really hard to start studying and really easy to stop. :)

Besides I like your updates :)
  • Options
    flashdumperflashdumper Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guys, Hi
    Is there any1 actively preparing for RHCA??
    I've already done 3 - 210, 310 and 236. Currently preparing for 442 and 436.
    One head is good, but two is better, so if there's some1 preparing for these two or any others and willing to cooperate, please PM me so we can make it more efficient as I am a little bit sick preparing alone. :D
  • Options
    archimedesarchimedes Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How is your RHCA certification going?
  • Options
    RHCE scheduled for 2 september. Looking for Puppet class in october.
  • Options
    icon_cheers.gif That day is just around the corner! Good luck! How do you feel about the exam, feeling like you are going to ace it?
  • Options
    THks varelg. I feel pretty good. I will do some labbing with kerberized NFS and samba this weekend.
  • Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good luck! and get the max score :)
  • Options
    300 is the second best score
    210 is the best score !

lol
  • Options
    RHCE passed, 280. I know what was not working, dont know why. Waiting for puppet course in October.
  • Options
    RHCE passed, 280. I know what was not working, dont know why. Waiting for puppet course in October.

Congrats :)
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Congrats Bodanel!
  • Options
    Thks everyone. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Awesome achievement, congratulations! Now, that thing which didn't work- what is your post exam analisys showing?
  • Options
    From my point of view it should have worked. On my home lab worked without issues. I dont want lose anymore time on this, I've already started brushing my python skills.
  • Options
    One not very happy update. Company doesnt want to pay for puppet course from RH, they want me to do Puppet from PuppetLabs. I think this will set me back for about 1 month. This is why i hate managers that bullshit people.
  • Options
    If I am not mistaken, your employer swapped a perfectly relevant RH course for a series of free "on-demand" webinars? Oh that sucks...
  • Options
    @varelg

They swapped the course from RH with the puppet practitioner course. Both will help me achieve the same thing but I will need to check the objectives and learn the differences.
  • Options
    @varelg

They swapped the course from RH with the puppet practitioner course. Both will help me achieve the same thing but I will need to check the objectives and learn the differences.

Without meaning to be insensitive, if your employer is paying for the course, they are entitled to change it - especially as it seems they have changed it for a comparable one.

You still get a free course.