Options

Education department auditing WGU

2»

Comments

• Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    On page 3 of the document in the link: 'It is incumbent on the institution to demonstrate that students are not left to 'educate themselves,' a chief characteristic of correspondence programs.'

My guess is that sentence sums up their concerns about WGU in a nutshell.

Ahh that makes sense. TBH, as long as being a "correspondence program" doesn't affect its accreditation or reputation, then I could care less. From what I understand, that distinction of being a "correspondance program" could affect government funding and that's about it.

"Correspondence course: (1) A course provided by an institution under which the institution provides instructional materials, by mail or electronic transmission, including examinations on the materials, to students who are separated from the instructor. Interaction between the instructor and student is limited, is not regular and substantive, and is primarily initiated by the student. Correspondence courses are typically self-paced."

Source: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    colemic wrote: »
    On page 3 of the document in the link: 'It is incumbent on the institution to demonstrate that students are not left to 'educate themselves,' a chief characteristic of correspondence programs.'

Educating myself sounds like exactly what I did while attending a brick and mortar college for my degree. I guess they consider the professors reading powerpoints provided by the book publisher line for line and administering multiple choice tests "education".
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It also says that faculty members other than instructors may be used to maintain contact as long as the students have access to proactive support, monitoring and engagement.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    There's a very simple reason why WGU it not well known in the Virginia/DC area: their degrees do not have the word "Cyber" anywhere. That I am actually proud of.

:Milk out my nose, if I was drinking milk: your nick has Cyber in it :)
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Educating myself sounds like exactly what I did while attending a brick and mortar college for my degree. I guess they consider the professors reading powerpoints provided by the book publisher line for line and administering multiple choice tests "education".

That is 100% accurate for 2 of the teachers for my wife's current classes at a local B&M school. The teachers are miserable, they get upset if you ask a question and they read 100% out of the book in monotone. She's learned more from youtube videos and research.