Options

Finally Got My First Tech Job!

GeekTechieGeekTechie Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
I found out this morning via email that after I did my second interview with CGS last week (Computer Generated Solutions) that I've offered a position for Technical Support Representative. Once I'll get the start date (training) to begin with them along with the drug testing, I'll get the official letter offer of employment. So, I'll put in my two week notice at my current job once I get the actual start date for my training. This is probably the best day of my life and I'm so happy, but overwhelm. All of my hard work of job searching to go into IT has finally paid off. I look forward to starting this new chapter of my life. As far as my certifications are concerns, I'm going to retake my 801 exam before the 800 series expires this year, do the 802 exam and get A+ certified and do Network + before moving onto Security+.

icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats.icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Keep us updated on how it goes.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!! Keep up the learning and hard work. It can definitely pay off big in IT! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Congrats!
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Congrats! Let the fun begin.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nicely done! Congratulations!
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job man! Congratulations on your first step in your career and welcome to IT! icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome start! Good luck with your A+!
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, that's awesome news, I remember when I got my first real tech job, I was so excited after putting in work to get my A+. Congratulations!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Sweeet! WTG!
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! And its a great feeling, remember my 1st tech job back in 1998, have since transitioned to InfoSec, but wouldnt have gotten there without the years in the IT trenches. Never stop learning :)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    tt3000gttt3000gt Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you have any kind of prior IT experience? I have A+, Net+ and Sec + certs and haven't even got a call back for Tier 1 help desk positions.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Don't stop learning, this is only the beginning!icon_thumright.gif
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Quick update: I'll be starting on the 1st of next month, so I'm going to put in my two week notice in today when I head at my current job. I'll be getting the offer letter and drug testing form via email today from CGS and a call to make sure I have everything I need before starting.
  • Options
    Tom789Tom789 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, mate!
  • Options
    jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Keep it up. I echo others here when I say if you keep up your learning, education, and certs, IT can really pay off in the long run. Might have to do some lower paid, laborious tech jobs at first but as you gain experience and knowledge there are lots of opportunities.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! You'll likely will feel overwhelmed, most of us were, but take it slow and try to gain as much knowledge as you can early on.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    bumgbumg Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Best of luck to you with your future endeavors.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congrats! WHOO HOO!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Time for another update: Drug test was done yesterday, though I'm scheduled to start on the first of February 2016, they told me that the start date could change to a week or two later, but will keep me informed on any updates. I'm staying at my current job at the hotel for now until I get the official word from CGS (should be hearing back around next week at the latest) if the start date changes or not, but have already informed my current employer that I'm leaving but won't put in my notice in until I get official confirmation from CGS about the start date and whether it changes or stays the same. Once I get final confirmation, then I'll put in my notice at current position. But I'm looking to start next month in my first tech role in IT.

As far as my IT background, I attended Georgia Piedmont Technical College, majoring in Computer Information Systems (Network Administrator) for technical certificate (Network Technician and PC Repair), most of my experience with IT were from the coursework I've done over the years for school (lab work, projects, coursework mostly) along with doing volunteer work for a non-profit organization in IT and my current job at St. Regis Atlanta for the past six years.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on landing your first IT job, it will be the hardest job you get. From here on, it should be plain sailing to get other jobs. Best of luck in your role.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GeekTechie wrote: »
    As far as my certifications are concerns, I'm going to retake my 801 exam before the 800 series expires this year, do the 802 exam and get A+ certified and do Network + before moving onto Security+.

Probably already know this but,
    you need to pass both 801 & 802 before the June deadline.

Congrats
  • Options
    Another update: Found out my start date for tech job will be 2/22/16, so I'm going to turn in my notice for my current job sometime this week.