How to prepare for SSCP exam and exam dates

godzilla43godzilla43 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am interested of SSCP certification. I have watched SSCP exam videos from Pluralsight but what else I could do to prepare for the exam? Also I havent found information on exam dates. I registered to Pearson VUE but when I click SSCP the next screen allready have a price so I dont want to continue because I can take the exam in spring but rest of the year dont work for me and I dont want to pay for nothing.

Comments

  • TheFORCETheFORCE Senior Member Member Posts: 2,298 ■■■■■■■■□□
    godzilla43 wrote: »
    Hi,

    I am interested of SSCP certification. I have watched SSCP exam videos from Pluralsight but what else I could do to prepare for the exam? Also I havent found information on exam dates. I registered to Pearson VUE but when I click SSCP the next screen allready have a price so I dont want to continue because I can take the exam in spring but rest of the year dont work for me and I dont want to pay for nothing.

    You won't be charged until you select a date to take the exam and enter your credit card information. You can click anything you want. You are not seeing dates probably because you are not going through with the selection. There is a calendar that has all the available dates, pick from the list, this month, next month or whenever you want to take it.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,233 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the time is available you can take it in a few weeks or next month, I suspect you are thinking like they did before: they set an exam date twice or three times a year, not anymore, you do it on Pearson any available day and you chose the date.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,143 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SSCP materials? Here's what I used:

    Before I started studying, I downloaded the exam objectives from the ISC(2) site and made sure that I studied each objective in detail. I created a spreadsheet with each domain on its own page and used it as a kind of a checklist.

    I had already earned the Security+ certification. Essentially, everything in Security+ applies to SSCP and then some. Make sure that you know all of the common port names/numbers, RAID levels, OSI model, etc. Also, at someone else's recommendation, I bought a copy of Michael Gregg's CASP study guide: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Advanced-Security-Practitioner-Study/dp/1118930843/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453314482&sr=1-2&keywords=CAS-002 CASP and SSCP are both practitioner certifications, and CASP is more advanced than SSCP. I figured I would benefit from studying above what was required, and I did. www.cybrary.it has some great and free CASP and CISSP training. Find the sections that correspond to SSCP and watch them. Cybrary also has Cloud+ training, and cloud is covered on the SSCP exam. I also read Darril Gibson's SSCP study guide. He covers the domains really well, though it's not as in depth as I would have liked.

    What I'm saying here is don't limit yourself to one source of study. When you feel you're ready, subscribe to https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php and take as many practice tests as you can. It definitely helped me.
  • godzilla43godzilla43 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, for all replys. That freepractisetests seems to cost 50dollars. Is there a free test site?
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,143 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not that I know of. Look at it this way. The old cliche, "You have to spend money to make money," is true. Investing a little money into your education can potentially pay off. I had to pay for all of my own Security+ and SSCP study materials and exam fees. You can deduct most of that on your taxes (if you live in the US). The time and money I put into these certifications was a contributing factor to my getting a new job making almost $20k more. I think the money that I spent was around $750, give or take. It kind of hurt to write those checks at the time, but now I'm really glad I did.
    godzilla43 wrote: »
    Thanks, for all replys. That freepractisetests seems to cost 50dollars. Is there a free test site?
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834
    tedjames wrote: »
    SSCP materials? Here's what I used:

    Before I started studying, I downloaded the exam objectives from the ISC(2) site and made sure that I studied each objective in detail. I created a spreadsheet with each domain on its own page and used it as a kind of a checklist.

    I had already earned the Security+ certification. Essentially, everything in Security+ applies to SSCP and then some. Make sure that you know all of the common port names/numbers, RAID levels, OSI model, etc. Also, at someone else's recommendation, I bought a copy of Michael Gregg's CASP study guide: http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Advanced-Security-Practitioner-Study/dp/1118930843/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453314482&sr=1-2&keywords=CAS-002 CASP and SSCP are both practitioner certifications, and CASP is more advanced than SSCP. I figured I would benefit from studying above what was required, and I did. www.cybrary.it has some great and free CASP and CISSP training. Find the sections that correspond to SSCP and watch them. Cybrary also has Cloud+ training, and cloud is covered on the SSCP exam. I also read Darril Gibson's SSCP study guide. He covers the domains really well, though it's not as in depth as I would have liked.

    What I'm saying here is don't limit yourself to one source of study. When you feel you're ready, subscribe to https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php and take as many practice tests as you can. It definitely helped me.


    Could NOT have said it better.
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,143 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks, Remedymp!

    In this same forum, someone posted this link: https://sybextestbanks.wiley.com/public/SSCP.html Looks like some decent free materials.
  • godzilla43godzilla43 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    Thanks, Remedymp!

    In this same forum, someone posted this link: https://sybextestbanks.wiley.com/public/SSCP.html Looks like some decent free materials.

    Is this link correct? It only opens a empty page?!?

    I will probably buy one month from freepracticetests. How about the test exam in here? Is it good practice for the exam?

    The SSCP Certification Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs

    Is this still relevant or is the exam changed much over this time?
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,143 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That Sybex opens for me. It's all video instruction. If you're trying to view it at work, they may have firewalled out streaming video. If nothing else, try a different browser.

    The Free Practice Tests questions really helped me. I took the SSCP exam shortly before ISC(2) changed the test objectives. I don't know how much they've updated the practice tests. If you do pay for some time here, in addition to SSCP questions, make sure to take some CASP and CISSP practice tests, too. They will help with SSCP.
  • godzilla43godzilla43 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    If you do pay for some time here, in addition to SSCP questions, make sure to take some CASP and CISSP practice tests, too. They will help with SSCP.

    Here you mean freepracticetests.org? Because here there is also Practice Exams that open for free. No payment asked. Why is smart to take also CISSP exams? I have understand that CISSP is SSCP with couple more subjects.
  • therkjtherkj Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Could any one please share the Official SSCP II Edition in any e-reader format ?

    Thanks in advance,
  • protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Use Internet Explorer.
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,143 ■■■■■■■■□□
    godzilla43 wrote: »
    Here you mean freepracticetests.org? Because here there is also Practice Exams that open for free. No payment asked. Why is smart to take also CISSP exams? I have understand that CISSP is SSCP with couple more subjects.

    Yes, I meant freepracticetests.org. I found that it was helpful for me to study above what was required for the exam. It's true that there is a lot of crossover between CISSP and SSCP. The same holds true for SSCP and CASP. If you can answer higher level questions, you may stand a better chance of passing SSCP.

    Also, I used CISSP, CASP, and Cloud+ study guides/videos along with my SSCP materials. I really helps to use multiple sources, because everybody writes differently, and everybody explains the subject matter differently. www.cybrary.it contains some great free videos for all of these certifications.
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    godzilla43 wrote: »
    Is this link correct? It only opens a empty page?!?

    I will probably buy one month from freepracticetests. How about the test exam in here? Is it good practice for the exam?

    The SSCP Certification Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs

    Is this still relevant or is the exam changed much over this time?


    Use http instead of https. It worked for me

    http://sybextestbanks.wiley.com/public/SSCP.html
Sign In or Register to comment.