Options

Newbie here with some questions!

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am very new here(Just made an account and found the site) and would like to progress in my career. Right now I am working as a desktop support which is pretty entry level and will have been here for 2 years in March. This is my first and only real IT job.

I was debating on which path I should take and decided to choose networking. I am wondering how often the network+ exam changes(Since this is a new year). The reason I ask this is because I was looking at this course below, and would you recommend the Mike Meyers Network+ course?

https://www.udemy.com/comptia-networ...-total-course/

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    First of all, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, personally I would recommend going for the CCNA over the Network+. I took this path and I highly recommend it, why? The CCNA is well recognised throughout industry and it generally a well round certification. I would note, this is most likely going to be slightly harder than the network+ certification however my honest advise would be just go for it. It will be a grind, but stick at it and you'll ace it. Feel free to PM me any questions you may have.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply!

How long do you think it would take someone with no knowledge to pass the CCNA exam?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you dedicate somewhere between 2 - 4 hours per day, three to four days per week, it's very possible to learn what you need to pass your CCNA: R&S exam(s) in two or three months. That includes reading books, labbing, and watching videos, as well as reviewing technical documentation on Cisco's site. Your mileage may vary, though.

That time can be cut down by factors like the amount of extra time you can study, how well you pick up the knowledge, taking a class, working with others, getting real-life hands-on experience, etc. The time can most definitely be extended as well thanks to things like lack of study-time, stress, personal emergencies, finding some or all of the material boring, etc. For some people, it's two or three months worth of studying. . . stretched out over a whole year or more, thanks to having to stop and start up again as work/life interferes with our study-plan.

In general, though, a couple of months of diligent studying (the same way you would for a college-course) gets the job done for most people who've reported their results on our forum.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.