Options

Interview for my first real tech job

Snrussell09Snrussell09 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

My company informed us this week that they are closing the service desk I work at and we have 4-5 months left. I contacted my old boss and he actually had a Desktop Technician job opening up and i am interviewing Friday.

I've been working in a call center service desk for almost two year(in April). Basic troubleshooting with hardware and software. Some troubleshooting phones, network connections and wireless devices. I had no tech experience prior.

I just got my A+ this Saturday before they told us. I have Network plus in a couple months.

I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions for the technical part of the interview, if there even is one. There weren't many details given aside from the fact that it seems to be a help desk/NOC hybrid with their proprietary software. My old boss, now the director at this place, knows what we did and what my experience level is.

Comments

• Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With this being an interview with your old boss, he knows your potential/abilities... focus on the growth and technologies you have learned/worked with since he was last your manager. Sometimes, interviewing with someone who knows you is harder than a total stranger, because they know what you have done and how you did it :)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    That's true. He knows exactly what I do because it hasn't changed since he was my manager so I, hoping he's aware of that. It was a level one service desk and the job seems to be more advanced than that and had a mixture of networking which I really have no experience with.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be yourself and be confident if he interviews you. I am sure you have learned a lot more since last time he saw you so he may be pleasantly surprised.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    Tom789Tom789 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's true. He knows exactly what I do because it hasn't changed since he was my manager so I, hoping he's aware of that. It was a level one service desk and the job seems to be more advanced than that and had a mixture of networking which I really have no experience with.

You will be fine. Especially since you already got some experience and a brand new certification to add. The interview for this position should be about personality than simple technical stuff. Also, its perfect time to start hitting up networking topics.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. You were right, there were a few tough networking questions but I really don't have experience there so I was honest about it and it went very well. I should be getting an offer soon. The interview was more for my manager, who reports to him, to get to know me,