Options

WGU - MSISA Degree

mmorrisonmmorrison Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I'm going to be starting the MS:ISA program at WGU on the 1st of February. I've read through here and saw a couple of posts about the program but would like feedback from people who've done the entire degree or are currently in progress. Any thoughts overall? Any classes that are a nightmare to do? How was the work load, i.e. how long (on average) were the papers and such.

Little about me:
B.S. in Public Relations (I know)
I currently work in the INFOSEC Industry as a INFOSEC Security Analyst prior to that I taught CCNA/Networking
Certs: CASP, Net+, Sec+, CEH, CHFI, ECIH, CNDA, ECSS, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, and Cisco Certified instructor for CCNA Security.

So I'm by no means a "noobie" but reading the comments about the VLT2 class, my panic alarm is in full flare.

Comments

• Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Howdy, Welcome to the club! I have my CHFI scheduled for this weekend, and my capstone as the only remaining courses. I have a few certs as well, and work in the industry. I have to say that doing the bachelors at WGU set me up for success on this program. The hardest part is figuring out exactly what the graders want to see in the format they want. The material is good, but one of your experience should be able to breeze through most courses. If you can manage the stuff that pops up in life you can easily finish in 1-2 terms.

I too was frightened about VLT2, but after reading everyone input I was prepared. Task 1 was no problem, Task 2 I had to resubmit twice, and Task 3 & 4 took one revision. It is a horribly designed course, but honestly everyone's complaints helped me zero in on what to do. The only other course that took a little time for me was FXT2, and I think was only due to the amount of writing required. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with along the way!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have the same struggles with VLT2 that many did. I knocked the class out in under two weeks and that was only dedicating a few hours a night (2 at most). I only had one assignment sent back, although it was sent back a few times due to contradicting notes by the graders in Task Stream. At the time I took the class, I had about 10 years IT experience, but none in security, so I was by no means an expert. I found the class boring, but pretty straight forward and easy. I'm wrapping up my capstone this week and the only class I struggled with was the Cryptography class. That was probably due to my of lack of experience.

Overall, I enjoyed the program and learned a lot. It helped me land security analyst job.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I should be finished with the program by May (hopefully March). I'll write a detailed review at that point in time. The assignments aren't that bad, but I think that you'll be most frustrated with some of the evaluations on Taskstream. Sometimes you'll get contradicting (or very little) feedback, and it's difficult to determine what they're looking for exactly. Thankfully, the course mentors provide helpful input that assists with meeting the requirements in the rubric.

Like others, I became very frustrated with my experience in VLT2. A lot of the material provided for the degree program is a little old (2007-2010) except for the CEH and CHFI material, and some of the materials provided do not align with the requirements of some of the tasks for a couple of courses but overall, I highly recommend the program.

There is overlap with the MS: IT Management (4 courses), so I'm considering enrolling in the MS: IT Management after I complete the MS:ISA, and knock it out in one term.

Since you already hold the CEH and CHFI, you should get transfer credit for the course, which would allow you to accelerate even faster than those who enter the program without those certifications. I think you'll get a tremendous value for your money.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    To me it was just a chore. The vague and sometimes nonexistent feedback is simply unacceptable and should have no place in "higher" education. I did it because it was the cheapest option to fulfill a personal goal. Now that I have tuition reimbursement I may go for a program that I actually enjoy and makes me feel proud. But going back to what aspiringsoul says, be ready to go in circles when tasks get returned without an intelligent or sensible explanation. The feedback I got with a some frustrating tasks could've easily applied to any single WGU course. I really doubt any SME was involved in the evaluation.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I am curious about what program you are looking at cyberguypr. Having finished the FMV2 (CHFI) this morning with only the capstone left, I will be looking at my next goal. Have you found a program that WGU courses will transfer over into for credit? I know a lot of us that enjoy collecting 'badges' would be interested if there was such a program.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella