Options

Accepted a new position!

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
I love seeing everyone else's posts about finding new roles, and becoming successful, so I thought I would share one of my own.

I formally accepted a position yesterday as a part of a red team. Its a far cry from what I am doing these days a security engineer. I am really looking forward to the new work and being fully challenged in my new role.

The only draw back is I have to get IAT3 certified per the DoD 8570 instruction, within 60 days. So I will be attempting the CASP within the next month or so. Which means a TON of reading for me!

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, I hope you enjoy the new position!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do have to add that it is very short sighted (on the part of the government) that you have to get another cert when you have all the certs one could need (or want) in order to complete the job. I get having a standard, but man what a pain.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats. All the the best.......
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats!! You'll have to report back and tell us how the job goes in the first few months. Put that OSCP to good use icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! www.cybrary.it has some great, free CASP training.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    So I will be attempting the CASP within the next month or so. Which means a TON of reading for me!
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should have no problem taking the CASP and passing it. Congrats.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job!! Definitely check back in and let us know how you're liking it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratz! Best of luck with the new position!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.
    It is a pain to have to pass another exam, but I am sure it wont be that difficult. I ordered a book from amazon, which does come with a discount on the exam, and I plan on watching the cybrary videos as well.

One thing I didn't know about the position before I interviewed was that it also involves the physical aspect as well. Meaning, I'll have to help test physical security by trying to tailgate, lock picking, etc. A whole new set of skills I am going to have to pick up and get accustomed to. Very exciting.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This exam shouldn't be hard.

And what's the pay? And why DoDD 8570? Is it a govt position or some contractor firm with govt ties and does primarily govt contracts? In this case weren't you asked for SC or they are willing to get it for you?
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new position!
  • Options
    This exam shouldn't be hard.

And what's the pay? And why DoDD 8570? Is it a govt position or some contractor firm with govt ties and does primarily govt contracts? In this case weren't you asked for SC or they are willing to get it for you?

I'd rather not disclose the salary. Yes it is government related.
    I am not sure what you mean by SC. I was asked to get a cert in IAT3. The CASP seems to be the easiest of the certifications listed. They will reimburse me when I pass as well.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Agent! The CASP should be a cakewalk.
  • Options
    w1retapw1retap Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I'd rather not disclose the salary. Yes it is government related.
    I am not sure what you mean by SC. I was asked to get a cert in IAT3. The CASP seems to be the easiest of the certifications listed. They will reimburse me when I pass as well.

I believe he meant SC= Security Clearance.

Congrats on the job, brother!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Congrats - well earned!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Yes it requires a clearance. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck with the studying and the new position.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, sounds awesome. I'm currently studying for the CASP. I am using Cybrary as posted above, a book from Amazon, and the WGU Skillport course
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrast, I am sure the OSCP open the doors, good, keep going
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    congrats, sounds awesome. I'm currently studying for the CASP. I am using Cybrary as posted above, a book from Amazon, and the WGU Skillport course

I am doing the same except for the WGU part. I may also buy some practice exams as well, to help me find any weak areas in my knowldege.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Congratulations, enjoy it :)
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle