Options

Guidance on CompTIA CEs

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I really don't want to get screwed again, so I'm going to ask alot of questions up front.

So in a few months, I'm coming up on the 1 yr anniversary of passing CompTIA Security+. I've already completed 46 of the 50 CE hours needed. Is this yearly or every 3 years? Do I have to do anything else to keep this in good standing?

Where I work they renew the tokens on a yearly basis, is this normal? All I have to do is upload a new token to keep this in good standing as well, correct?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    As far as I know, you need 50 CE for 3 years and pay $150 for 3 years, you can pay $50 each year or you can just go and pay everything at once.

You go on CompTIA's https://www.certmetrics.com/comptia/login.aspx and submit the documentation that they require for CE and pay the fees.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    What happens if I were to turn in all of the 50 CE say by the end of the month? Even though a person has three years to complete them.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i waited until my 3 years was almost up, took the CCNA Security, then paid $150, and all mine renewed
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i waited until my 3 years was almost up, took the CCNA Security, then paid $150, and all mine renewed

So wait till the 3 year window comes close to closing?

What if I turn them in now, will it reset and have to renew the 3 year token?

-unknown
  • Options
    What would happen is that if you turn them in now you will reset 3 years, but that is kind of not ideal as you will reset them sooner then necessary.

I would turn those 50 CE's and pay $50 for a year and then next 2 years pay $50 and at the end of the third year you will have paid $150 and submitted 50CE units.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    Well I'm going to wait till the three years are close to being up and then I will submit the final CE. I only have 1 or 2 left. No sense in creating more work, when I don't want to or have to. The less I have to deal with CompTIA, the better.

And again, my work pays for this and they pay yearly, so I just need to remind them before the 1 year is up.

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't wait until the last minute to obtain CE's. The CE system is supposed to make sure that you continue to learn instead of keeping what will be considered old technology as the years progress. You can listen to podcasts and join Info Sec groups to learn and apply more as time goes on.
  • Options
    bigdogz wrote: »
    Don't wait until the last minute to obtain CE's. The CE system is supposed to make sure that you continue to learn instead of keeping what will be considered old technology as the years progress. You can listen to podcasts and join Info Sec groups to learn and apply more as time goes on.

I'm not waiting for anything. I just want to make good use of my time, and that includes not having to re-take any CompTIA. Its bad enough CompTIA wouldn't accept my original Security+ and I had to re-test for it again...

I'm currently working on advanced certs (RHCSA, scheduled at take in late Feb).

-unknown
  • Options
    You can also renew you certification with passing one of the industry related certifications. Red Hat certs are RHCSS and RHCA.
  • Options
    Dollarhyde wrote: »
    You can also renew you certification with passing one of the industry related certifications. Red Hat certs are RHCSS and RHCA.

I understand that, however I don't want to reset the CE count before I have to.

Again, the less I have to deal with CompTIA, the better.

-unknown
  • Options
    You can submit your CE, but wait to pay full amount, then the counter will reset.
  • Options
    Dollarhyde wrote: »
    You can submit your CE, but wait to pay full amount, then the counter will reset.

That was my plan. Just keep submitting those tokens yearly and at the end of the three years, submit the final CE and poof!

I'm just making sure I understand the rules, that way CompTIA doesn't screw me again...

-unknown