Blackhat 2016?

RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
Will any of you members here be attending BlackHat 2016?

I really would like to go, but I also need to pay for my Masters. I wonder if paying for the masters would be worth it or if attending the Blackhat 2016 would be worth it. Hmm...choices...

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i am considering it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Will any of you members here be attending BlackHat 2016?

I really would like to go, but I also need to pay for my Masters. I wonder if paying for the masters would be worth it or if attending the Blackhat 2016 would be worth it. Hmm...choices...

A degree vs an event? I don't think the choice is really difficult to make. Go for the degree ..Blackhat videos will be posted on the net soon. a degree can assist in career advancement. I strongly doubt someone would hire you because you attended a conference.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A degree vs an event? I don't think the choice is really difficult to make. Go for the degree ..Blackhat videos will be posted on the net soon. a degree can assist in career advancement. I strongly doubt someone would hire you because you attended a conference.

I should have been more clear. What I meant was paying for a masters class vs attending one of the Black hat courses. The courses have great education and speedier results for the line of business. However, I just figured it's cheaper for an event than actually paying for a masters class.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not blackhat, but going to RSA. Gotta love 3 of the kynotes - actors from CSI:Cyber...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was just talking about this on twitter - I was going to go to BlackHat this year just because, but the price point on the classes is well above my pain threshhold. I could go $2000 - $2500 maybe but not $4000. So now I am looking at RSA, I figure if nothing else it will be fun to Watch the CSI Cyber actors get pummeled. I wonder if this is why Ted Dansen left the show?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    If Ted was there, I would just ask questions about Curb
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Work might be sending us for Blackhat :) Wouldn't do it instead of a Masters course though...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I will be attending Black Hat USA 2016, DEF CON 24, and BSidesLV 2016 in Las Vegas on Aug 2-7, 2016.

See you all there! :D
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    If I get a break between projects, I plan on being there :)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I will be attending Black Hat USA 2016, DEF CON 24, and BSidesLV 2016 in Las Vegas on Aug 2-7, 2016.

See you all there! :D

I'll be there, I signed up for "Network Forensics: Continuous Monitoring and Instrumentation" from LMG Security.

We should arrange to meet up or something. Just look for red fire hydrants, I'll be the dog marking his territory.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1800 + to attend ?
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Clm wrote: »
    1800 + to attend ?

Yep, it's my first time going, I didn't realize it was that much either. Work didn't have an issue with the price but we decided to use the training budget for things we can do remote or closer to our workplace as it seems some of the courses we were considering are much more expensive there. Was looking at the in person PWK course, would rather do the lab time at home/work for a fraction of the cost. Stupidly I didn't realize that DefCon was right afterwards or I would have made that part of the proposal, was too late after the approval.
  • ougijoeougijoe Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll be attending and going through a few courses.

Can't wait!
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Yep, it's my first time going, I didn't realize it was that much either. Work didn't have an issue with the price but we decided to use the training budget for things we can do remote or closer to our workplace as it seems some of the courses we were considering are much more expensive there. Was looking at the in person PWK course, would rather do the lab time at home/work for a fraction of the cost. Stupidly I didn't realize that DefCon was right afterwards or I would have made that part of the proposal, was too late after the approval.

Im a new hire (three weeks) so i doubt they are willing to dish out 1800 to send me away lol
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I will be attending with my coworkers. We are waiting to find out if we are being funded or not. We are scheduled for Blackhat and Defcon.
    Clm wrote: »
    Im a new hire (three weeks) so i doubt they are willing to dish out 1800 to send me away lol

There's also costs for travel, hotel, rental car, food, and incidentals you might need in Vegas. And the DEF CON badge is an extra $240. (Why go to BH and not go to DC?)
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I plan on going next year.... I will have to enjoy the youtube videos on it. icon_sad.gif
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I might be going to Blackhat this year. Work wants some more people there so I got voluntold :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Yeah, I was "voluntold" as well. I said "SURE!!" :D
    Looks like myself and one other coworker are going to Blackhat and Defcon. Should be awesome!
  • sharansinghsharansingh Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not considering yet,but soon discussing about it.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be there as well, work is paying for BH as well as a maltego training course :) I will be attending a lot of the open bar events :D as well especially the one with Alice In Chains performing :D:D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There's also costs for travel, hotel, rental car, food, and incidentals you might need in Vegas. And the DEF CON badge is an extra $240. (Why go to BH and not go to DC?)

And the prices on hotels are jumping... 2 weeks ago the Luxor was 30 a night, now its like 130 :O
    jcundiff wrote: »
    And the prices on hotels are jumping... 2 weeks ago the Luxor was 30 a night, now its like 130 :O

I just booked my hotel a couple of days ago. Was lucky enough to find a room at the Excalibur for $94 a night.
    We signed up for the red team tactics course at BH as well. Anyone else?
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will be there.. company is sending me... will attend the Hunting Malware across the Enterprise training.. pumped up
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I just booked my hotel a couple of days ago. Was lucky enough to find a room at the Excalibur for $94 a night.
    We signed up for the red team tactics course at BH as well. Anyone else?

It was 40 a night 2 weeks ago icon_sad.gif
    Yeah, it was cheaper when I looked a month ago, but we got late word we are going.
    I'm also staying for about 2 weeks, so it was harder to find something for that long.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I booked months ago at the Tropicana, despite cheaper alternatives, they were not approved hotels. Which it fine with me, Tropicana is also a Doubletree hotel, so I get Hilton points for staying there. I signed up for Network Forensics: Continuous Monitoring and Instrumentation, I'm hoping it will give me a good bases for a future GMON course and certification exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Do we want to try to schedule a TE get together, maybe Tuesday evening after the classes are wrapped up?
    Anyone registered for any of the Black Hat parties?