Options

Anyone worked a PC Refresh Project

FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am close to getting a short term contract for PC refresh project. Basically backing up PCs and then transferring the data to the new PCs. Updating excel worksheets with new PCs installed and old PCs going to be decommissioned. Has anyone done this type of project if so how did it go for you? I have to say I am extremely nervous since it is my first time working in a corporate environment.

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did this for a few months back in '06. Very simple work. Left as soon as a NOC opportunity became available.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It can be tedious especially if you have to setup software after imaging. Just do your best and show good work ethic to get a good reference. I don't know if you'll learn much but you might be glad it's a short contract as this work is easy to burn out. Something to put on your resume to start climbing the ladder.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I've done dozens of these over the years and chances are it is an almost fully automated process if the client has a half-awake tech team.

You will be given a schedule of where to go and who to see, you run some program on the client if needed to backup their files/settings, swap the computer and maybe screen/keyboard/mouse then run another program when the user logs on to reload their stuff.

You may need to configure some apps using a check sheet (you will be trained on all this but by the 500th you will detest it) and at the end you have to sign off as complete and possibly get the user to do so as well. Then it is onto the next one.

Thinks to make sure you do a good job with:
    - cable tidying - often overlooked but a good sign of professionalism. keep the cables out of sight and bundled up with enough spare to reach for most sensible purposes (moving the screen from side to side, pulling the keyboard forward etc. I hate using cable ties as it ends up damaging the cables in the long run and recommend Velcro strips.
    - customer manner - be polite and make small talk if you feel comfortably while you work. Ask questions about them (without being nosy - eg "are those your children on the screen wallpaper? They look lovely"). If you are not comfortable doing this then it will come across as being a bit creepy so best to stick to the work at hand. Remember to tell them what is happening, how long it will take and ask if they are happy with the work.
    - hygiene. You are representing the IT dept so going to the customers desk smelling of old sweat or unwashed clothes is a no-no and if going to be unpleasant for the end users too. Have a shower in the morning, wear clean underwear and a fresh shirt and change your trousers at least once a week at the outside. And keep your shoes on!
    - have the right tools for the job on you - you will need a small knife, probably a small set of screwdrivers & allen keys to disconnect video cables and I would recommend both a small tub of hand cleaning gel plus one of moisturizer as you get dirty hands with the old kit and if you put in nice new keyboards, mice & screens then work on them with filthy hands it spoils the whole look. Install the hardware then clean your hands and moisturize after leaving the user (to avoid leaving an oily mouse/keyboard.

Should you be lucky and get to do this out of hours then ask if it is ok to listen to music and load some onto your phone and use headphones when there is no-one else about you need to speak with. It helps pass the time and keep your focus.

Just a few small tips.

Overall this is a deeply dull and repetitive task with little room for learning, but it looks good on the CV and get you networking with possible future employers/colleagues.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    UncleB wrote: »
    Overall this is a deeply dull and repetitive task with little room for learning, but it looks good on the CV and get you networking with possible future employers/colleagues.

thanks
    Iain

Well it opens the doors and despite best well laid automation plans things very often don't go to plan. You will then learn something from trying to diagnose problems. Also it gives good experience in the enterprise environment.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I am working on a 300 computer tech refresh right now. I am in charge of 60 assets but we have a network database that controls port security on the switches so it takes me three times as long to get the machines online than it would if you could simply bypass port security and throw them on the domain. I assume you don't have to worry about that.

Make sure that you are accurately recording all the old assets and updating your documentation with the new stuff. You do NOT want to jack that up and be unable to account for assets (has happened in my org before).

Im not sure where users save their data where you work (share drives, etc) but make sure you get it all, especially that .pst file that the user has been adding to for 15 years (lmao). Desktop, favorites, .pst files, are the most important, generally, but just find out where they keep other stuff.

Do you guys have a standard image? This image should include all the baseline software and patches, if possible. This makes your life so, so much easier.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They should give you everything you need to be successful. This is how I used to source and recruit when I was a desktop support manager.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I have some contractors working onsite at my place. I happen to be the team lead. If you need any pointers, send me a PM with your questions. I would be glad to share some info.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    nofear187nofear187 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I was on a windows 7 deployment in 2013 at crap one HQ in Richmond, VA, it was a total cluster screw when it comes to project managing both, from the crap one side and Unisys side of things as well!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup it was one of my first IT jobs. It's very simple and tedious. However, it's great experience and can help you get started. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kinda. My first job was migrating machines from XP to 7, but quite often we had to refresh their PC also. If it's your first IT job and they are good with that, then just be honest with anything you don't know and ask questions. After a couple of days of doing it you'll be a pro. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did this type of work back when i was working part time and going to school. Was mostly after hours since we were refreshing branches of one the big banks. Really good money if you are working contract ,at least it was for me back then. Simple work, but got some experience in managing time, tasks and 3 other techs since I was the lead. Nothing to worry about, just do it one by one.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One piece of advice, depending on the setup, don't just sit at one computer and upgrade it. Get 5, 10, 15, 20 going in a row, you should be doing a ton of walking back and forth, sometimes even getting dizzy.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup, one of my first enterprise gigs was a 6 month contract to roll out 3500 Win2k workstations. The company putting you to work will tell you what they want you to do. Word of advise...Do whatever it is they tell you to do. If they want you to unbox stuff all day then do it and put a smile on your face. You will potentially be working with other people that may have other connections. make friends, it doesn't hurt. UncleB mentioned about cabling, customer services skills, and hygiene; absolutely do those things. However, I disagree with his statement about it lacking potential for learning. If this is an enterprise there are many opportunities for you to learn things. Each enviroment is different and has unique challenges put those things in your back pocket for later. I still utilize some of the methodologies I learned at that job to this day.

Good luck.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    matai wrote: »
    One piece of advice, depending on the setup, don't just sit at one computer and upgrade it. Get 5, 10, 15, 20 going in a row, you should be doing a ton of walking back and forth, sometimes even getting dizzy.

Very true. If you're imaging it with an image that's on USB, you're really only limited by the amount of USB sticks you have. A chair on wheels works better though. Less bending over.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At one place I worked they hired contractors to come in to handle a PC backup/swap/upgrade. The woman who was the team manager for the contractor made such a good impression with our Desktop support team they put in a referral for her and the company hired her.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had to do this some time ago before image software was out in the market. Just make sure that you test all PC's before they go out. You may find that the vendor hardware may change in regards to drives and other devices.
  • Options
    kly630kly630 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This was my very first IT job in a 1500 user hospital. As an intern. You'll be alright. Just make sure you check weird places for important files users have.
  • Options
    I was offered the position. I start on February 1st for a 2 week assignment. The pressure is on because a worker needs a new laptop and he's leaving to relocate. He stated that he leaves at 2pm so I have to have his laptop done before then. So that's backing up his data to the server then updating the new laptop after that retrieving that data from the server on the new laptop. Setting up the encryption and VPN. Just hope it goes smooth tomorrow. I wanna thank all of you guys for your input it was really informative.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hope everything went well! Just remember to have fun and enjoy yourself! I've done this kind of work, and it you start feeling down, just remember that getting paid to play with computers is sometimes tedious and sometimes frustrating, but it's mostly just getting paid to play!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fayz wrote: »
    I was offered the position. I start on February 1st for a 2 week assignment. The pressure is on because a worker needs a new laptop and he's leaving to relocate. He stated that he leaves at 2pm so I have to have his laptop done before then. So that's backing up his data to the server then updating the new laptop after that retrieving that data from the server on the new laptop. Setting up the encryption and VPN. Just hope it goes smooth tomorrow. I wanna thank all of you guys for your input it was really informative.

Everything seems doable but wouldn't the encryption take quite a while? What software will you be using?

Edit* Didn't see that you were working on this for today. How did everything go?
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Fayz wrote: »
    Has anyone done this type of project if so how did it go for you? I have to say I am extremely nervous since it is my first time working in a corporate environment.

I did it for about four months, it was easy work, chances are you will be preforming the work off hours as not to interfere with the employees work during the day. The pay sucked, but it allowed me to make contracts with the client company which I ended up getting a Full time position with. Your contract company may tell you not to ask the client company about a full time job, ignore them, use your time to network with the full time IT staff, even there isn't a job opening then, they may give you a lead in the future.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Everything seems doable but wouldn't the encryption take quite a while? What software will you be using?

Edit* Didn't see that you were working on this for today. How did everything go?

Encryption was already done prior to installation. All desktops and laptop were preimaged and encrypted with McAfee. First 2 days were horrible because my contact did not show up and was suppose to give me a tour of the place and info on where to go for any tools etc. I ended up working with the firms IT Technicians who were hospitable towards me and assisted them with IMACs and wiping hard drives. I am learning how to refresh the pcstheir way because there are lot of intricate steps that I must take to successfully refresh a system. The staffing firm provided documentation but the procedures listed are not as fast as the firm's procedures and does not shows solutions for things that I do not anticipate to happen like backing up data on the server with a speed of 100Mbps to the server. The documentation also backups a lot of unnecessary things. The techs only back up important files and folders. I was supposed to do over 50 but many pcs are for executives and traders and I am not allowed to do them so it was slashed by more than half.