Options

Starting into CCNA Studying

jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am going to start studying for the CCNA since I have passed my Net+ a while back. I did have a few questions though maybe someone can answer.

How up to date are these stickys for the current exams?

Also where would be the best place to buy a physical lab or can someone tell me what models of routers and switches I would need along with how many of each.

I appreciate the assistance.

Comments

• Options
    NightEye00NightEye00 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    if I were you I wouldn't get any physical hardware, instead just doing much Packer Tracer and test simulation in study mode after you obtained the needed knowledge. In my opinion, real gear will be required only at CCNP and higher certs.
    Otherwise, it could be also a good opportunity to buy some access time at Cisco Learning Labs, read more at:
    https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/cisco-learning-labs

I've used it for about 2 months and it can really help, especially if u don't find any commands in PT because in CLL you can work on real gear with emulated real Cisco IOSs.

I hope you can benefit from these ideas, I could ;)

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    Will these labs be able to assist me once I go past CCNA to like CCNP etc or is it dedicated only to the CCNA?
  • Options
    crplhoodcrplhood Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been advised that packet tracer becomes less helpful above CCNA, but is the best option below CCNP. GNS3 handles routing better.
    CCNA R&S[X] CCENT[X] Sec+[X] A+[X] VMware Airwatch Associate[X] Steve's Blog Steve's Linkedin
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    no point in spending money,if your learning by yourslef as in not enrolled in any college course where they have hardware,only thing you miss out on actually connecting cables-thus it gives a bit more hands on experience on starting say in college labs when you have 10-20 people connecting stuff over the place cables get knocked out,some are defected,some routers switches need erasing previous configs,thus getting used to work in mess with 20 people around you and not get lost :)Otherwise you'll get lab 3routers 2 switches and they will be collecting dust while your plugging two cables in between-where packet tracer you can connect as many devices and different setups,scenarios,merge networks monitor how packages are being sent,thus if determined to do ccna and ccnp one after another just save that cash when your ready for ccnp-as really what you need is good memory for commands,and theres only handful that wont work for ccna on PT and doubt they would be in the labs exam,maybe as questions more like.
  • Options
    I appreciate the responses. I will look into Packet tracer which I cant seem to find unless I am a student? Maybe I am looking at the wrong area. I do have GNS3 though on my pc right now. I will look at using GNS3 and Packet tracer once I figure out how to get it instead of getting hardware.
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jah8887 wrote: »
    I appreciate the responses. I will look into Packet tracer which I cant seem to find unless I am a student? Maybe I am looking at the wrong area. I do have GNS3 though on my pc right now. I will look at using GNS3 and Packet tracer once I figure out how to get it instead of getting hardware.

For GNS3 you'll need your own IOS. I believe you do have to be a student for Packet Tracer, unless...
  • Options
    Unless lol I think I know where you going with it but I am not saying.