Options

What next? SkillSoft is paid for.

MoebeddaMoebedda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I work for a rather large company. IT jobs in the environment I am in are pretty much specialized and separated by groups. Server, security, desktop, networking, app support, and so on. They are paying for SkillSoft training. I was told to pick from the whole catalog.

Currently I work as a 3rd level desktop support engineer and regional field tech. I've been doing this for 8+ years and have 13+ years of IT experience, although probably lower level than many of you here.

I currently have MCP, ITIL, A+, Net+, Security+ and recently Server+(work paid for it or I probably would have skipped this one). I took a couple of years of college courses when I was younger but never got a degree. I am 45 and don't plan on getting one.

So now I get to pick a direction for my career and like the title says, SkillSoft is paid for, but I don't have any experience with them for a learning resource. I don't know what I want to do. Out of all the above certifications, Security+ was probably the most interesting. Circumstances at work are such that I can pretty much go in any direction.

I am looking for advice on what I should do next. Any advice or questions to help me in that direction would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first question I think that needs to be answered is what interests you the most. You can then more accurately make a wiser decision on how to invest your money/training. Do you want to be into Systems Administration, Networking, etc...?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MoebeddaMoebedda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I've basically boiled it down to two areas.

Get MCSA in server 2012 or go for more security oriented certs, although I don't know which ones. MSCA is a logical move for me. I already work with servers 2008 and 2012 working with AD, DHCP, printer server config, and printer GPOS and I certainly enjoy what I do. I don't do anything with Security now, but it interests me.

My only put off with the Microsoft direction is their test questions suck. I don't get why they try to trick you, but I haven't' taken a Microsoft test in a while so hopefully that has changed?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i use Skillsoft for every cert i can, i think it is great to add on to other training sources. I would say go the CCENT then CCNA route. CCNA is ALWAYS brought up when I interview
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark