Options

Destop support ladder

sbucklandsbuckland Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I am currently a Desktop Support tech with almost 5 years of experience under my belt. Trying to decide where I want to go from here. I am considering breaking into the Systems administrator role, however I am a little confused. I have experience from desktop support with active directory and a few other areas, But I am not sure what certs to get. I know there is the MCSA, but I also saw that CompTia has a Server+ cert. Should I get Server plus first, then MCSA, or skip Server+ all together. Any other certs recommended.

Thank You.

I currently hold Net+, Security+, Project+, Linux+, and a couple Web design certs.

Comments

• Options
    seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I know of Server+, it seems to be a more broad exam on your environment and processes dealing with storage, hardware, disaster recovery, etc. I'm sure Server+ may be beneficial in some situations where you're maybe building out a new environment but if you want to get in to actual Microsoft administrator dealing with the software side then MCSA would be what I started with. The MCSA also deals with some stuff like storage, disaster recovery but also goes further in depth with setting up access to your environment more than the Server+ would.
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    The CompTIA certs are vendor agnostic and therefore focus more on best practices or general knowledge. If you're wanting to break in to a sysadmin role, I would say that your best bet is to go for the Microsoft certs (or perhaps LPIC or RHSA if you're interested in Linux). The vendor/platform specific certs will go further in helping you in to a new role.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good question OP, I have about 2 years experience now and I keep going back and forth between System Admin and Network Admin.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MCSA definitely sounds like your next logical step, just focus on that right now. Not easy exams imo. Don't even worry about other certs until you get that one. You will learn a lot that will help you move forward with that cert.

Everytime I start thinking ahead and about different certs I get side tracked.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My advice would be to skip the Server+ exam. My reasons are as follows:

1. A quick check of indeed.com showed one job that preferred the Server+ cert. I am sure there were more but they were few and far between.
    2. There are precious few books for the new SK0-004 exam. One is coming out in about three months, though, but it remains to be seen whether that will be useful or not.
    3. The exam costs $285. You can probably get the exam for a 10-25% discount if you shop around. If you pay full price for that one exam, you would be $15 dollars away from the cost of two out of the three exams needed to become an MCSA: Windows Server 2012. If you are currently enrolled in a university, you can pick all three Microsoft tests up for less than $260 (Microsoft academic pricing).

Overall, considering the cost of the exam and the relatively few jobs seeking it, I don't think it will provide you with a good enough return on investment. Ultimately, from my vantage point, you are much better off getting the MCSA: Windows Server 2012.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

Everytime I start thinking ahead and about different certs I get side tracked.

this is me, I waste so much time planning long term that I end up doing nothing at all.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely knock a few Microsoft tests out first given their usefulness. I went after the Server+ when I needed a break from Microsoft exams and wanted to prove that I really knew the ins-and-outs of servers.
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to join the chorus of voices recommending MCSA. I'm currently following the 70-410,411,409 track to give me both MCITP: Virtualiztion and MSCA: Server 2012r2 certs. That'll keep you busy for a while, then you can decide if you want to continue in server maint in your career or start on something like CCNA and start moving over to network maint then eventually design.
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest the same.

Nascar_paul: would that be 74-409 your adding to the server tests?
  • Options
    nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Chadius: Yes sir! 74-409: Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center. It's going to mean RE-designing my lab to incorporate System Center and perhaps buying another node to support high availability, but I think that on-the-ground experience in deploying and configuration SCCM will be invaluable.
    Side note: I'm seriously thinking of getting a couple of Dell 2950s to host the lab, but I'm concerned about the noise and power consumption. Any other inexpensive suggestions for what will first be SCCM, then ESXi hosts?
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever