Options

Looking for some advice...

no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
Back in December I passed ICND2. I thought a next step might be CCNA:Sec. I've been reading the OCG book and watching Chris Bryant's Udemy videos for a few weeks now and I just can't get into it, it doesn't interest me like routing and switching. That being said, have any of you felt this way about the CCNA:Sec? I'm wondering if I should move on to CCNP or what the next step should be. I feel a little lost at this point...icon_rolleyes.gif
A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can always come back to CCNA Security later after CCNP R&S. It should be easier since there is some overlap between the two. There are so many different tracks in Cisco that you should just focus on the ones that interest you the most, unless your job demands otherwise.
  • Options
    That's not a bad idea. I'm trying to break into the networking field but it's very hard without the experience. Hopefully if employers see I'm studying for CCNP they might take me more seriously?

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

• Options
    ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was the opposite, working in security I had no interest in routing and switching. I would have let my ICND1 expire if it wasn't for that.
  • Options
    AMD4EVERAMD4EVER Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no!all! wrote: »
    Back in December I passed ICND2. I thought a next step might be CCNA:Sec. I've been reading the OCG book and watching Chris Bryant's Udemy videos for a few weeks now and I just can't get into it, it doesn't interest me like routing and switching. That being said, have any of you felt this way about the CCNA:Sec? I'm wondering if I should move on to CCNP or what the next step should be. I feel a little lost at this point...icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm where you are at. I find switch and routing more engaging than the security side but that is probably pretty normal. It is much easier to feel satisfaction by getting something working than to making it more secure. Security is something that is a bit more abstract and at least for me it is more difficult to take pleasure in. However, I recognize the importance of it and realize that very people understand it. Knowing the ins and outs of security can be the difference in a job interview. Companies of course need their network to function but they also need it to be secure. So the thing that keeps me focused and driven towards the certification is more that I know that I'm giving myself a huge leg up by learning this stuff.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest taking your studies into the NP level. 2 entry level certs isn't as valuble to me as a professional level one is. I too tried the same exact thing years back to dip into the security realm right after NA. I dropped the security stuff and learned a TON more going into NP. In the process of that I found a job to help solidify my current studies/skills and became light years better at all aspects of networking now 3 years later. I agree with mentioned you can always chase down security stuff later.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses, they have been pretty insightful. My concern with CCNP is that it might be too much...I am keeping my eyes and ears open for an entry level network admin position but what I'm afraid I'll have my CCNP with no experience to back it up. That's what scares me..and then no one will want me lol

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    no!all! wrote: »
    but what I'm afraid I'll have my CCNP with no experience to back it up. That's what scares me..and then no one will want me lol

Easy solution:
    Go get the CCNP....
    but DON'T list it on your cv.

Add it at a later date... after you've been at a place for a bit.
    That way, the CNNP will naturally "look" more credible :]