Options

irq's

nigelnigel Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all, i've just joined. got a question though i'm having a bit of a problem with irq's (god i feel dumb) would anyone know of a way to remembering them. also i heard that mike meyers has written the best study guide. i have looked but i'm not to sure which book to buy.
i did but a+ certification study guide 4th edition by osbourn books can anyone give me any reviews on the osborne book as i have been told it is'nt the best. i was told to try and get books by mike meyers.

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I used the Osbourne book to pass A+. There are some errors in it-- this is the reason why everyone here will tell you to use more than one source when studying so you can find them, as well as see things that maybe the author skipped over or didnt go into in enough detail.

I liked the practice exams on the included CD.

There are plenty of free guides (here included) to supplement the text.

As for IRQs, memorize a couple of them. When the are engrained, add a couple more. Just because you need to memorize 16 of them doesnt mean you have to memorize them all instantly.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    memorising irqs will come to you in time. you can, of course, rhyme them off like times tables (which is the way i started), but as you configure hardware for a period of time (especially if using windows 95), you will eventually learn them by seeing them in the control panel.

i have heard that mike meyers books are being updated to suit the new objectives and should be out sometime soon. maybe you could make-do with free guides on the internet (there's a site called techexams.net that has some excellent technotes ;)), or get a copy of examcram2 in the meantime.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Dubb RichDubb Rich Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i used maramega's post http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1320 to memorize IRQ assignments and I/O addresses. Now I know them like the back of my hand. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    nigelnigel Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thankyou all, i recieved a call from smartcert.com. after talking to them they told me to take the test. but i'm not too sure yet icon_sad.gif