computer running slow

OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
I got a complaint about a system that is running slow.

I checked wich processes were running, quite a lot, nothing dangerous though, checked with processviewer
I ran ms defender, no spyware found
norton systemworks 2006 runs on the machine and no problems there
however when i want to logoff a user on the machine, or shutdown, CCAPP always needs more time to shut up(get a little windows msg , shutting down CCAPP service)

erm other things i cannot execute are things like
ipconfig
netstat
net view

when i do this i just get a blank cmd prompt and the prompt seems to hang
when i close the prompt
the process f.E. ipconfig stays in the processes list

Thats what i found weird
I't a machine fabricated by DELL with pre-installed windows xp on it, so maybe that has something to do with it..Dunno

Basicly what i want to know is, how can i speedup this machine again ?
How can i exactly know why internal windows programs like ipconfig etc will not run ?

Thanx in advance

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Do you have the latest service pack installed for XP?

What are the system specs?

Are you able to boot in safe mode and run CMD?

CCAPP.exe is either a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities

or

a process belonging to the media.fastclick adware which creates advertising popups on your computer and sends Internet usage information back to it's company's servers

The way to tell the difference depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    ccAp belongs to Norton, so don't worry about that. Norton could be conflicting with another program during shutdown. I would remove norton with the symrt tool symantec provides and reinstall it. Did that computer have spyware or viruses on it in the past? It sounds like it might have. I would also recommend running a few regestry tools to clean up that os as well. Regsupreme is really good - Now for the ipconfig not properly executing, download the winsock fix and try to fix your tcp stack. Thats what i would try. I try to stay away from norton due to the resources it sucks ups and the problems it gives me. Ghost is the only app I like from symantec.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Norton System Works should be renamed to Norton System Hog. I imagine if you uninstall it all your problems will go away.
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    Yea what i basicly did was edit msconfig.
    I deselected the services that not needed to be started at bootup.
    Then i fired away a tweak/cleaning program on the computer.
    I cleaned up registry, old tmp files etc. Stuff that wasn't needed.
    Then there was also an option to fasten shutdown, so close services faster etc.

The system is much faster now.
    There is no history of spyware,virusses,what so ever on the machine. Every evening a virus scan, anti-spyware etc.

Have to investigate on the ipconfig etc..