Options

What training are you getting/hoping to get this year?

RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know that training is often difficult to get now 'adays and usually the first thing cut by employers; however, what are you hoping to put in for this year? What kind of training do you usually get?

I've been trying to get in on a Red Hat Fast Track course for a while now, but have always been told it would not be approved since our UNIX environment is 90% AIX. However, it's finally happening next month!

I also put in for Implementing AIX Security Fundamentals and am very fortunate be taking that next week.

Typically, we have a shot at a one-week training once per year. Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes we end up with two courses in a year. However, I'm definitely seeing that virtual format is much more likely to be approved these days vs adding traveling costs.

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hoping to get some SANS training. I'm interested in GCIA, GPEN, GCFA, and GCFE.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll probably grab another Netapp course this year, and then we'll see what else strikes myf ancy through the year.
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have several Udemy and Cybrary courses in the queue. I'm also getting some great OJT in penetration testing.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We usually get learning tree classes for low level certs. Last year we got ACMT apple training. I was hoping to get training for the CISSP and CEH but it was shot down by our IT director because it did not "fit my job description". So I don't know what that was all about. But I am "sticking it to the man" by paying for my own self training and leaving once I get my Bachelor's degree in Cyber Security/Digital Forensics, which my University pays for.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    danny069 wrote: »
    I was hoping to get training for the CISSP and CEH but it was shot down by our IT director because it did not "fit my job description".

If it helps I get shot down for stuff IN my job description and I am the lead engineer!
    So IM gonna stick it to the man and am already looking for a new job :P
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    E Double U wrote: »
    Hoping to get some SANS training. I'm interested in GCIA, GPEN, GCFA, and GCFE.

this is my dream, but i think they will say it is too much
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd like F5 training this year, but CCIE Security lab being paid by the company will be nice.
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VMware is what I'm working on currently and my boss wants me to start looking at Cisco UCS.
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hopefully can get my company to pay for SANS training for GCIH and GCIA. That'd be great.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    AWS Architect currently and CISSP in April. \m/ (><) \m/
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Hope to get SANS training, ANY SANS training.

Actually scratch that..I'm desperate to get ANY training. No one wants to train me icon_rolleyes.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    and1play5and1play5 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Boss wants us to get the 1st 3 AWS associate certs. Also finishing up my wgu degree.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm fortunate to have a CSO to whom training $$$s are sacred, (projects get cut before training), we usually get 5K a year per head for training, a little less this year. I am taking the FS-ISAC Threat Intelligence course in March. If there is anything left over, I may try to sit the CGEIT in December.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    metalone4metalone4 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting from scratch, adding to certs I got over a decade ago. I'll be getting AWS Architect Associate and (hopefully) SysOps Admin, MCSA Server 2012, and CCNA. This should keep me busy for months to come and hopefully look good when I start the job hunt in a few months.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I'd like to get on Narbik's CCIE R&S bootcamp this summer.
  • Options
    jcundiff wrote: »
    I'm fortunate to have a CSO to whom training $$$s are sacred, (projects get cut before training), we usually get 5K a year per head for training, a little less this year. I am taking the FS-ISAC Threat Intelligence course in March. If there is anything left over, I may try to sit the CGEIT in December.

holy crap, 5k, what line of business is this?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

?
    We got $3000 last year for training for all of us. They cut out all training this year to save money.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just to get chosen for to do a work-study for a SANS training this year! My company pays for CBT Nuggets for everyone in IT which is nice, but will not help pay for any training or certs unfortunately.
  • Options
    I just to get chosen for to do a work-study for a SANS training this year! My company pays for CBT Nuggets for everyone in IT which is nice, but will not help pay for any training or certs unfortunately.

my company does pay for CBTnuggets, that is pretty cool. They will pay for some certs, but has to be relevant, and I can't just go nuts
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm hoping for the Micronics R&S bootcamp. I took advantage of the free Pluralsight for 6 months thing and I'm hoping to watch the video series for Docker and NSX next month. Trying to dip my itty bitty toe into the virtualization world :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I'm hoping for the Micronics R&S bootcamp. I took advantage of the free Pluralsight for 6 months thing and I'm hoping to watch the video series for Docker and NSX next month. Trying to dip my itty bitty toe into the virtualization world :P

It is a fun world :) but I only have my pinky toe in it also :P
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's pretty standard, training is not cheap. My IBM class is $4,000 and it's taught virtually! The red hat class comes out to $2,000/person x 15 people = $30,000.

Not cheap at all, and we're a non profit.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

I just went to a SANS class and the class itself was like 5k then add in hotel, meal reimbursement and paid time away from work, the total was like 8 grand for one off-site training event.

Last year the company paid for my VMware Install, Configure, Manage class and that was 3 grand I think, plus the added paid time away. No hotel or travel with that since I did the live-online course.

This may not be a popular opinion but I honestly felt both the SANS class and the VMware class were not worth the money. I actually feel kinda guilty for going (almost). This year, we are looking into a pluaralsight corporate package. I think the value in the the high dollar training is the opportunity to interact with peers. Doing the live-online stuff limits that anyway, so to me, it isn't as good of a value.

This year, I am going to try and go to some meetups or smaller local cons in the Chicago area. I will just pay for them out of pocket because I want to go and they won't necessarily be related to my "job function."
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Some training si definitely better than others. Netapp's cluster mode class (think that was global knowledge) and IPExpert's CCIE Data center bootcamp were well worth it. SCOM 2007 class we brought in trainer for several years ago was a complete waste.
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    CCNA definitely