Options

Juniper certs

SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
I honestly don't know much about Juniper. I just quickly did a Google search and know the surface information about them and their network devices but up until a few moments ago I honestly haven't heard about them. I'm developing my skills and professional experiences to go into the networking field but is certing up and getting familiar with the Juniper network hardware and software a good thing to get under your belt even it's still not common place in the enterprise world?
Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise

Comments

• Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    Well it depends in the enterprise world you may see more Cisco, Juniper you will more see in the service provider world.

Honestly you cant go wrong with juniper certs. I say at least do the JNCIA and take it from there.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I picked up my JNCIA because Iwas doing a bunch of work with Juniper gear at the time. If you're talking about choosing one cert though, CCNA vs JNCIA, then stick with the Cisco certs. It's worth learning Juniper gear if you have the time, but the Cisco cert and knowledge will get you through more doors.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm interested in Juniper as well but I'm going to do as much Cisco as I can first. I will tackle Juniper after CCIE. Also this article from Forbes is scary for Juniper's future:
    We currently estimate Juniper’s share in edge routers to decline from nearly 16% in 2014 to around 11% over the next seven years. For core routers, we project the company’s share in the market to shrink to 22% in the long run from 25% in 2014.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/09/10/how-can-juniper-curb-the-declines-in-its-router-market-share/#723fa4cb727
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is there a huge difference in quality between Cisco and Juniper in regards to service, technology, software, etc..?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've been happy with all of the Juniper products I've used (switches/security/routers). I think Cisco probably has more staff workign in R&D coming out with new features/patents/RFCs, but Juniper isn't exactly a slouch either. I love the QFX switches.

I don't imagine Juniper is going away any time soon. The company that's really hurting right now is Arista, after that decision in the patent lawsuit with Cisco.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has anyone here used Junosphere and can write an honest review of it and how it compares to VIRL/GNS3/Unetlab? It appeals to me because you don't have to deal with images and you can buy tokens right from Juniper. Is it enough to do labs from places like inetzero?