Options

Chris' CCIE R&S Thread

siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
I wanted to start this thing off by asking for advice.

A little back story, I've had about a year and a half of network experience, with my new job allowing me to dive deep into networking (switching 3850s, ASAs, F5 etc). I anticipate if I keep at it everyday, this will take me the greater part of 18-24 months.

They said they would pay for any classes, bootcamps, or material relevant to this work. CCIE happens to qualify here so i'm good.

Based on all the previous threads about book materials, I now own the following and could use any recommendations:

Routing TCP/IP Vol I *2nd edition
Routing TCP/IP Vol II
Internet Routing Architectures
QoS Exam Certification Guide
MPLS Fundamentals
Self-Study: Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks
Interdomain Multicast Routing: Prac. Juniper Networks & Cisco Systems Solutions

The CCIE 5.1 Revision is on its way this year. Should I wait out buying the 5.0 OCG Library and wait on Narbik and crew for 5.1?

Also, is there a general release date on Narbik's "Bridging the Gap between CCNP -> CCIE" book?

I look forward to speaking to all of you and here's to the journey! :)
Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
Cisco Lan Switching

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Iristheangel keeps us updated on Narbik's book as she's doing the technical editing for it. Sadly, I just looked at CiscoPress and it has Sept 2016 as the release date for the book.

CCIE Routing and Switching v5.1 Foundations: Bridging the gap between CCNP and CCIE
  • Options
    Nice koz. I'll keep my eye balls peeled on that book release.

For the existing CCIEs out there lurking, and candidates, how did you approach the material? I printed the Exam Objectives and wasn't sure how I wanted to proceed. Go down each category and read the book on those technologies, followed by extensive labbing on each until fully understood before moving on? Or, Reading down the book list I posted earlier consecutively and attempting a large comprehensive lab with all combined technologies, etc?

Thanks.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    INE recommends this:
    • Gain a basic understanding of the technologies
    • Gain basic hands-on experience to reinforce and expand your understanding
    • Gain an expert level of understanding
    • Gain an expert level of hands-on experience
    http://blog.ine.com/2014/05/23/ccie-collaboration-study-guide-and-rack-materials-update/
    How I Passed the CCIE Data Center Lab Exam

It's targeted at collaboration and data center, but the study methodology should apply to all tracks.
  • Options
    lostindaylightlostindaylight Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Sigganation.

Good luck on your journey.

Here's a couple of small housewarming offerings.

For OSPF, I strongly recommend John Moy's book OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol. And overall, RFCs, RFCs, and more RFCs. It can be illuminating to read the RFCs because they tend to explain the why, whereas a lot of books and docs are more about the what and the how.

Also, be aware that books and documentation have errors. Only trust what IOS actually does, not what people say it does.

Best regards,

-lid
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Also, be aware that books and documentation have errors. Only trust what IOS actually does, not what people say it does.

This, is a most excellent piece of advice. You can read all the books in the world - there is only one way you can really truly understand what IOS does and that is by ensuring you are putting in the practice hours. You will need it! The number of times I've configured something only to think... "Wait, what?" because something hasn't quite operated the way I believed it would.

Also, try your best to match your IOS version to the one they have inside the lab - this will be important so you can see exactly what features the IOS supports etc.

BR,
    Gorebrush.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, this is all great information.

I have endless hours of lab ahead of me. Once I can figure out why the csr1000v won't load in vsphere, i'll be able to get a decent lab going. For now, GNS3 will suffice.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just want to say you should also check out unetlab. There are some advantages of using it over GNS3. It officially only supports a handful of images(for iou) but you can fool unetlab by renaming the image you want to use to a name it supports.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Just want to say you should also check out unetlab. There are some advantages of using it over GNS3. It officially only supports a handful of images(for iou) but you can fool unetlab by renaming the image you want to use to a name it supports.

I'll try that koz--great stuff!

I decided to purchase the CCIE 5.0 Library by Narbik, all material will still be relevant after 5.1. Looks like I would just need to find material about the new cloud technologies of which they speak.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is your plan for labs? For the CCNP I just make up my own stuff but if I do the CCIE, I plan on getting some sort of book. I have many 2800 and now a bunch of 2900s available to me, as well as plenty of 3650 switches - so I can do a comprehensive lab right at work. I do want to see if I can somehow get an EHWIC or two though.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you decide to go with the INE workbooks, they have a long thread detailing how to setup their lab topology with IOU/GNS3

Building INE's RSv5 topology on IOU/IOL on GNS3 - IEOC - INE's Online Community

There's other threads in the same forum on using physical gear and a whole subforum just on CSR1000V for RS study
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel like you and I are kind of in the same boat. I was a little hesitant about buying any reading resources specific to v5.0 IE just yet because I am only just beginning my reading efforts as well. So I bought some books for some initial reading that are less tailored for the current exam but are still required readings. These are the 3 major reading materials I just bought the other day:

* TCP / Ip Illustrated, Volume 1 - The Protocols
    * Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume One (6th Edition)
    * VPNs and NAT for Cisco Networks: A CCIE v5 guide to Tunnels, DMVPN, VPNs and NAT (Cisco CCIE Routing and Switching v5.0) (Volume 3) <-- this one actually is exam version specific but a weak area of mine I wanted to address.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    I'll check it out Daniel--thanks!

I've been reading through the OCG vol I and Interdomain Multicast Routing on L2 Multicast, doing the objectives in order.

Getting through IGMP right now and want to lab it out soon. Feeling pretty good.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    I was able to get several hours in yesterday:

Network Theory:

1.1 IOS vs. IOS XE

1.1B CEF Concepts
    -RIB, FIB, LFIB (new to me), Adj. Table
    -Load balancing hash (default and other option)
    -CEF Polarization, causes and avoidance

1.1C General Network Challenges

-Unicast Flooding
    -Out of Order Packets
    -Asymmetric Routing
    -Impact of Micro burst

2.0 Layer 2 Technologies

2.2 Layer 2 Multicast
    -IGMP v.1, v.2, v.3
    -IGMP Snoopnig
    -IGMP Querier
    -IGMP Filtering
    -IGMP Proxy

Today I will read on the following sections:

1.1d Explain IP Operations
    -ICMP Unreachable and Redirects
    -IPv4 options, IPv6 extension headers
    -IPv4 and IPv6 fragmentation
    -TTL
    -IP MTU

and, polish up on L2 Multicast, specifically, IGMPv3, Explain MLD, and PIM Snooping.

LAB

Set for this evening mostly on IGMP.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    I read theory about the following topics:
    • 1.1.d Explain IP operations
      • 1.1.d ICMP unreachable, redirect
      • 1.1.d [ii] IPv4 options, IPv6 extension headers
      • 1.1.d [iii] IPv4 and IPv6 fragmentation
      • 1.1.d [iv] TTL
      • 1.1.d [v] IP MTU
    • 1.1.e Explain TCP operations
      • 1.1.e IPv4 and IPv6 PMTU
      • 1.1.e [ii] MSS
      • 1.1.e [iii] Latency
      • 1.1.e [iv] Windowing
      • 1.1.e [v] Bandwidth delay product
      • 1.1.e [vi] Global synchronization
      • 1.1.e [vii] Options
    • 1.1.f Explain UDP operations
      • 1.1.f Starvation
      • 1.1.f [ii] Latency
      • 1.1.f [iii] RTP/RTCP concepts
    1.2 Network implementation and operation
    • 1.2.a Evaluate proposed changes to a network
      • 1.2.a Changes to routing protocol parameters---Need to review
      • 1.2.a [ii] Migrate parts of a network to IPv6
      • 1.2.a [iii] Routing protocol migration
      • 1.2.a [iv] Adding multicast support
      • 1.2.a [v] Migrate spanning tree protocol ----Need to review
      • 1.2.a [vi] Evaluate impact of new traffic on existing QoS design----Need to review
    1.3 Network troubleshooting
    • 1.3.a Use IOS troubleshooting tools
      • 1.3.a debug, conditional debug---conditional debug is pretty cool!
      • 1.3.a [ii] ping, traceroute with extended options
      • 1.3.a [iii] Embedded packet capture
        Needs review
      • 1.3.a [iv] Performance monitor
        Needs review, looks like NetFlow
    • 1.3.b Apply troubleshooting methodologies
      • 1.3.b Diagnose the root cause of networking issue [analyze symptoms, identify and describe root cause]
      • 1.3.b [ii] Design and implement valid solutions according to constraints
      • 1.3.b [iii] Verify and monitor resolution
    • 1.3.c Interpret packet capture
      • 1.3.c Using Wireshark trace analyzer
      • 1.3.c [ii] Using IOS embedded packet capture----Needs Review

LAB:

Sadly, it wasn't much of a lab, and I should have planned it better. I had to routers connected on a point-to-point running pim sparse-mode on each of their directly connected interfaces; watched some dbug on that. Definitely need to revisit this in detail and with a bigger topology.

I may need lab ideas.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    BardlebeeBardlebee Member Posts: 264 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hustle everyday, even if its an hour or 6 hours. Hustle every day. The CCIE is a battle. I'm 6 months in studying everyday (missed a handful) and I can tell you it doesn't get easier. But what it does do is make you a badass. Makes you stronger then the rest and more hire able and more desirable then the other CCNP's out there. Even without the CCIE.

Its tough for me to think I may have another 12 months to go. Its felt so long and yet its already been 6 months. Keep on keeping on man. Good work.
  • Options
    Bardlebee wrote: »
    Hustle everyday, even if its an hour or 6 hours. Hustle every day. The CCIE is a battle. I'm 6 months in studying everyday (missed a handful) and I can tell you it doesn't get easier. But what it does do is make you a badass. Makes you stronger then the rest and more hire able and more desirable then the other CCNP's out there. Even without the CCIE.

Its tough for me to think I may have another 12 months to go. Its felt so long and yet its already been 6 months. Keep on keeping on man. Good work.

I needed that Bardlebee--thanks! icon_cheers.gif

You motivate me big time, and your thread is very organized to say the least. Stick with your plan and stay consistent; i plan to do the same at this time since I have very little obligations and lots of time.

Cheers
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    BardlebeeBardlebee Member Posts: 264 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its a false veil of organization. I just try to update it to keep myself honest. Thanks man.

Also I just try to do 6 hours a day. You can see I barely if ever hit it. You know, some days I get an hour in, but most days its 3+, but I am in a different timeline/spot considering a baby coming and my eagerness to leave my employer.
  • Options
    Between moving and increasing projects at work, I haven't had much time to engage in CCIE R/S. However, I got the ball rolling and managed to review some more topics. In addition, my senior engineer wants me to obtain the NA: Security cert because i'm working with ASAs a lot (ACLs, NAT and VPN mainly).

Completed the following:

[h=3]2.0 Layer 2 Technologies[/h]
    [h=3]13%[/h]
    [h=3]Hide Details[/h]

2.1 LAN switching technologies
    • 2.1.a Implement and troubleshoot switch administration
      • 2.1.a Managing MAC address table
      • 2.1.a [ii] errdisable recovery
      • 2.1.a [iii] L2 MTU
    • 2.1.b Implement and troubleshoot layer 2 protocols
      • 2.1.b CDP, LLDP
      • 2.1.b [ii] UDLD
    • 2.1.c Implement and troubleshoot VLAN
      • 2.1.c Access ports
      • 2.1.c [ii] VLAN database
      • 2.1.c [iii] Normal, extended VLAN, voice VLAN

Later this afternoon I'll go over VTP Concepts and Etherchannel, labbing to follow.

STP and SPAN concepts will begin hopefully by the week of the 11th.

Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    After a few months of lay off and obtaining the CCNA: Security and studying for the F5-CA certification, I've jumped back into the IE studies full force.

Moving through my notes and re-covering the Network Principles 1.0 section, I plan to perform some Wireshark and IOS packet capture labs today before I move on to Layer 2 Technologies and hit VLAN and trunking.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    [FONT=&quot]2.1.d Implement and troubleshoot trunking[/FONT]
    • 2.1.d VTPv1, VTPv2, VTPv3, VTP pruning
    • 2.1.d [ii] dot1Q
    • 2.1.d [iii] Native VLAN
    • 2.1.d [iv] Manual pruning

Made it through VTP yesterday, all reading and no lab yet. I always thought VTP to be a big risk in production networks, but it looks like if you can run version 3 on all switches, then it can be quite useful and safe with the addition of the vtp primary server function.

Some details i learned from SWITCH and now:

-VTP Pruning cannot prune vlan 1 and 1002-1005; however, this can be achieved through manual trunk allowed "pruning."
    -VTP uses a Join message type sent every 6 seconds by both server and client if vtp pruning is enabled.
    -Apparently VTP Transparent mode will forward vtp messages if the Domain name is NULL, and not just if the domain name matched the server. Will need to explore this behavior in a lab.

-After I lab this I want to familiarize myself with debug messages. Continuing on with trunks and STP. Skipping over Etherchannel until STP is read and labbed.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    Looking through INE's topology design for their workbooks, I think i'm going to use the 4x physical 3560 switches and 20 routers in GNS3 approach.

I'm unsure how this will work exactly and could use some feedback from any of you familiar with this.

http://labs.ine.com/workbook/view/rs-v5-workbook/task/ines-ccie-r-s-v5-hardware-topology-MjU1NA%3D%3D

4x switches double cabled to each other with a port on switch 1 as a dot1q trunk to a break out switch. Now, is this breakout switch another actual switch that it plugs into, the same switch to which I plug in my desktop NIC? Or, is the L2 "switch" in GNS3 the "breakout" switch when configured with all dot1q trunk links plugged into all 20 virtual routers and another switch known as my nic?

I feel like I am not far off, but could really use some help. Thanks.

current physical topology: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-UDeHZrqQcOSHdFTTVjcWQ5OVk
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    Ok, I figured it out. Cabled up all the switches and trunked them in and it works great. Now, the problem is managing them at once, something I overlooked. I have a console access server on the way and that should solve the management problem.

On to Layer 2 labbing tonight and more RSTP/MST and Etherchannels concepts.
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    N3TW0RK_N3RDN3TW0RK_N3RD Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also working on INE's topology, with 20x CSR1000v using SecureCRT for management. The VM piece was where I initially had trouble in, but searched INE's Blog post, along with others and found my misconfig. Once you set up your SecureCRT management piece, modifying devices becomes easier. Your on the right path. Keep on!
  • Options
    Throughout the month I was able to complete the Layer 2 section of the following:

Theory:

2.1 LAN switching technologies
    • 2.1.a Implement and troubleshoot switch administration
      • 2.1.a Managing MAC address table
      • 2.1.a [ii] errdisable recovery
      • 2.1.a [iii] L2 MTU
    • 2.1.b Implement and troubleshoot layer 2 protocols
      • 2.1.b CDP, LLDP
      • 2.1.b [ii] UDLD
    • 2.1.c Implement and troubleshoot VLAN
      • 2.1.c Access ports
      • 2.1.c [ii] VLAN database
      • 2.1.c [iii] Normal, extended VLAN, voice VLAN
    • 2.1.d Implement and troubleshoot trunking
      • 2.1.d VTPv1, VTPv2, VTPv3, VTP pruning
      • 2.1.d [ii] dot1Q
      • 2.1.d [iii] Native VLAN
      • 2.1.d [iv] Manual pruning
    • 2.1.e Implement and troubleshoot EtherChannel
      • 2.1.e LACP, PAgP, manual
      • 2.1.e [ii] Layer 2, layer 3
      • 2.1.e [iii] Load-balancing
      • 2.1.e [iv] Etherchannel misconfiguration guard
    • 2.1.f Implement and troubleshoot spanning-tree
      • 2.1.f PVST+/RPVST+/MST
      • 2.1.f [ii] Switch priority, port priority, path cost, STP timers
      • 2.1.f [iii] port fast, BPDUguard, BPDUfilter
      • 2.1.f [iv] loopguard, rootguard
    • 2.1.g Implement and troubleshoot other LAN switching technologies
      • 2.1.g SPAN, RSPAN, ERSPAN
    • 2.1.h Describe chassis virtualization and aggregation technologies
      • 2.1.h Multichassis
      • 2.1.h [ii] VSS concepts
      • 2.1.h [iii] Alternative to STP
      • 2.1.h [iv] Stackwise
      • 2.1.h [v] Excluding specific platform implementation
    • 2.1.i Describe spanning-tree concepts
      • 2.1.i Compatibility between MST and RSTP
      • 2.1.i [ii] STP dispute, STP bridge assurance
    2.2 Layer 2 multicast
    • 2.2.a Implement and troubleshoot IGMP
      • 2.2.a IGMPv1, IGMPv2, IGMPv3
      • 2.2.a [ii] IGMP snooping
      • 2.2.a [iii] IGMP querier
      • 2.2.a [iv] IGMP filter
      • 2.2.a [v] IGMP proxy
    • 2.2.b Explain MLD
    • 2.2.c Explain PIM snooping
    2.3 Layer 2 WAN circuit technologies
    • 2.3.a Implement and troubleshoot HDLC
    • 2.3.b Implement and troubleshoot PPP
      • 2.3.b Authentication [PAP, CHAP]
      • 2.3.b [ii] PPPoE
      • 2.3.b [iii] MLPPP
    • 2.3.c Describe WAN rate-based ethernet circuits
      • 2.3.c Metro and WAN Ethernet topologies
      • 2.3.c [ii] Use of rate-limited WAN ethernet services

Labbed:

-Mac Address Tables
    -CDP, LLDP
    -UDLD
    -VLANS
    -access ports
    -trunks
    -voice vlan
    -VTP
    -v1, v2, v3
    -pruning
    -DTP
    -SPAN, RSPAN
    -HDLC, PPP [PAP and CHAP]

Working on:

-Etherchannel [On, LACP, PAgP, load balance]
    -STP and MST

Will work on:

-ERSPAN
    -IGMP
    -MLD
    -PIM Snooping
    -PPPoE

I have moved slightly forward into Layer 3 theory, beginning at ARP, IP (v4,v6) addressing and will take a break from there to catch up on labbing. Knowledge retention seems to be hard at this point, but I suppose repetition will remedy that.

Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    How are your studies going siggnation? I just read through your thread and haven't seen an update in a while!Sounds like your making great progress!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    How are your studies going siggnation? I just read through your thread and haven't seen an update in a while!Sounds like your making great progress!

Hey, not too shabby! Trying to keep at it a little each day.

I've decided to move away from going down each objective in the written and move on to more labbing with reference to the lab objectives, taking the written along the way when almost "finished."

Labbed:

- About all of Layer 2 (been working layer 3 for a few weeks now and will need to review L2 soon).

- Routing to NBMA interfaces (routing to next hop vs. interface; potential arp issues, etc).
    - Longest prefix match routing
    - GRE P2P tunnels (no IPSec)
    - GRE Backup Interface
    - GRE Recursive Routing (issues with the Tunnel when learning about the gre tunnel destination through the tunnel itself). * Want to lab this again.
    - Floating static routes
    - Local Policy routing (applied globally rather than an interface, affecting traffic sourced from the router itself)
    - Static Routing with IP SLA reachability
    - Policy routing
    - Policy routing with IP SLA (set ip-next hop and including verify-availability of next hop)
    - ODR (stubs provide prefixes through layer 2 to the hub, running dependent on CDP; hub in turn injects a default route to stubs). *fun one

RIPv2 (the almighty RIP! icon_wink.gif )

- Basic Config (enabling version 2 and Disabling the default auto-summary behavior)
    - Split-Horizon (good to work with this now as I'm sure EIGRP labs will include this)
    - RIPv2 authentication ( both clear text and MD5)
    - RIP Send & Receive versions (tuning these values on the interface level to send/receive RIPv1, RIPv2 or both updates).
    - Manual Summarization (another fun one) *need more practice writing out the binary to quickly resolve the summary masks.
    - RIP Convergence Timers ( tuning the 4 timers at the router config level)
    - Off-Set List ( Reference an ACL and apply the Off-set list at the router config level with a desired hop count towards or incoming on an interface)
    - Passive Interfaces

-Filtering with Prefix Lists

I definitely require more work with route filtering overall as some prefix list/distribute list scenarios left me scratching my head. Lab it over again, and again, and...again. Then hopefully it will click. TCP/IP Vol I has been a real treat and helps me get through the labs better.

Moving forward, RIPv2 for another week and then we jump into EIGRP. :)
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    I've read through what i needed in tcp/ip vol. I for RIPv2 and RIPng to cover the objectives and get me through the rip labs.

The filtering set me back some, filtering for default routes advertising a certain direction, prefix lists per-"neighbor", AD manipulation for a particular "neighbor," etc.

With that out of the way, EIGRP has begun. I find it helpful for my memory to jot down notes about the key concepts learned in the book and writing down anything i find peculiar in the labs. icon_study.gif
    Currently Reading:

Cisco Lan Switching