Options

Resume / CV Critique

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
Would really appreciate if someone would be so kind to critique my CV. I'm looking to get far, far away from being a security analyst and back into support. I don't want to do any networking, just windows 2nd/3rd line support or a junior linux system administrator role.P.SIf the formatting is off on my attached CV, it's because it was a docx converted to doc. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're looking for linux based admin, I would definitely add in some automation/scripting stuff you've done in each job or even within your degree/certifications, regardless of how basic it was.

I'd almost take out the MCDST as it's 6 years old and it could lead you go getting offers you don't want.

If your degree is your highest formal education, do you need your GCSEs in there?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just some quick suggestions:

Your sentence about working on your master's is odd. I would neither have your name there (your name will be at the top, no?), nor have "self-funded" (none of their business how you're paying for it), nor say "in his spare time." What I might say is the major, your GPA (if it's good), and your anticipated graduation date. Something like "Pursuing master's degree in informatics with 3.7 GPA. Expected graduation: 2017."

BTW, even if the major is unrelated to your job, that still shows breadth of knowledge and diversity of interest. Heck, it can even lead to interesting conversation during the interview... "I saw you're majoring in history. That's unusual for an IT professional." "Well, yes, I love history and believe knowing where we came from helps us make decisions about tomorrow. I'm especially interested in blah, blah, blah."

Your font size is very small. I wouldn't go lower than 10, but probably 11 or 12.

Experience should generally be past tense (except your current job).

Check for consistency in formatting and such, like your line spacing. You have some months abbreviated, others are spelled out. Bullets are messed up.

Why have "Other(s)" with parentheses? Decide and either use a simple s or make it singular. You didn't put the s in parentheses for projects and certifications; don't do it here.

I'm a nitpicker, sorry :). But I've been involved in hiring and I really do flag those things on resumes. They wouldn't, by themselves, get a resume thrown out, but I'm always leery about hiring someone who can't (or doesn't take the time to) format the single most important document used for job hunting.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you very much guys. I'm really glad I posted up on here, I read it over and over and didn't spot some of the things you did. I'll make the changes :)

P.S

Since i'm in the UK, I have no idea what GPA or a major is. But I think I understand the point! I have a good feeling about looking for a new role with my CV now.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oops, sorry. Your major is your main subject area, I think you listed it down below... advanced security and digital forensics -- that's good stuff! I'd list it up top too. GPA is grade point average.