Options

CISA Experience sanity check

TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
For those familiar with the CISA, I need a sanity check here to make sure I am interpreting this correctly.

The website says:
  • A maximum of 1 year of information systems experience OR 1 year of non-IS auditing experience can be substituted for 1 year of experience.
  • 60 to 120 completed university semester credit hours (the equivalent of an 2-year or 4-year degree) not limited by the 10-year preceding restriction, can be substituted for 1 or 2 years, respectively, of experience.
  • A bachelor's or master's degree from a university that enforces the ISACA-sponsored Model Curricula can be substituted for 1 year of experience. To view a list of these schools, please visit www.isaca.org/modeluniversities. This option cannot be used if 3 years of experience substitution and educational waiver have already been claimed.
  • A master's degree in information security or information technology from an accredited university can be substituted for 1 year of experience.

With this verbiage...my bachelor's in business would count as two years and my MS would count for another year...totaling three years waiver of the 5 years required. I just wanted to double check before I start down this path.

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    oh, I never read it like that, if that is true, then I might qualify sooner than I thought
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like you'll qualify for the
    • 60 to 120 completed university semester credit hours (the equivalent of an 2-year or 4-year degree) not limited by the 10-year preceding restriction, can be substituted for 1 or 2 years, respectively, of experience.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems right. Or you can email ISACA and ask.

For the CISM, either CISA or CISSP provides 2 years waiver.
  • Options
    H@tb0xgh0stH@tb0xgh0st Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80
    Did you ever get a clear answer about the education experience waiver (BA + MS for 3 years experience)?

That was the route I was hoping to take as well.
  • Options
    I never ended up emailing them but I found the below which leads me to believe you can only use one education waiver:
    "As an example, at a minimum (assuming a 2-year waiver of experience by substituting 120 university credits), an applicant must have 3 years of actual work experience. This experience can be completed by:
    • 3 years of IS audit, control, assurance or security experience
    OR
    • 2 years of IS audit, control assurance or security experience and 1 full year non-IS audit or IS experience or 2 years as a full-time university instructor."

• Options
    ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Do you have the experience to take the the CISA TechGuru80? If not, what cert are you planning on tackling next?
  • Options
    Yeah I would qualify now but was curious at the time.