Options

Passed CISSP 6th Feb - First Try

arav.samarav.sam Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
Firstly I would like to thank this forum for giving abundant information on this exam.
From this forum, I read of lot of success/failure stories which helps me exactly how I need to approach this exam.
I have close to 10 years of experience in Information security, involved in Security Audit, Testing, Infrastructure and Vendor Risk Assessments etc. I already have CISA, CISM, SSCP and security+ certifications.
If I am not sharing my cissp exam experience, then I am doing injustice to myself and to this forum.
Ask yourself a question, why do I need CISSP , bcoz answer to that question will give you the initial thrust to prepare for this exam.
  1. Bought the books SYBEX - CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 7th Edition.
  2. Prepared seven weeks scheduled timetable for the exam, once I am done with first two chapters, I booked the exam date, so that I will stick to the schedule of the remaining chapters.
  3. Spent daily three hours, but most of the time I deviated from schedule because of my current job, but I made sure that I compensated those hours during weekends.
  4. After 3 weeks, I bought CCcure one month subscription to test my understanding to the each chapters, not bad, able to get most of the answers correct.
  5. By the end of 4th week, I completed all chapters and again started revising the same chapters all over again.
  6. I didn’t have time to go through CCcure tests, but only problem I had is to memorize the port numbers, laws and other generic terms, trust me in exam it doesn’t matter, not even one question is related to specific ports or laws. So don’t spend too much time on memorizing the ports, make sure u go through these on one day before the exam.
  7. Finally last day before the exam, I just revised my handwritten notes ( please make sure that you sleep properly before the exam, because this exam is not going to end in one or two hours, where it’s going to take 6 long hours.
  8. Arrived early to test center and started my exam at 7:45 am I read each and every question twice to make sure that I understood the question before I attempt to answer.
  9. Please do not jump into conclusion of selecting the correct answer, rather eliminate the wrong answers, eventually u will be having a good percentage of selecting the correct ones. Make sure that you mark the questions which needs review again, but do not leave the question as blank, answer it.
  10. I have already planned to take scheduled breaks after 75,150, 200 and 250 questions, please take break when needed, do not rush to complete all at one stretch.
  11. I finished all 250 questions by 4 hours and I have around 80 questions marked for review, and went through all those questions again and changed the answers for around 15 to 20 questions.
  12. After completing my exam, I was prepared myself to see positive results, since I knew I did well and as expected I was passed this exam.

Moral : Preparation is the key here to pass this exam, no shortcuts will work here.
Read cover to cover Sybex 7th edition book twice + 500 cccure questions = CISSP
Do not spend lot of time in analyzing which book to study, Trust one book ad stick to that book , I would prefer and suggest Sybex 7th edition.

If anyone has any questions about my experience I'm glad to help (as long as it doesn't go against the NDA) and hope this helps others working toward the same goal.
:D:D:D:D:D Endorsement is in progress.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! 7 weeks is a relatively short amount of time, I hope to take this exam before the Summer arrives. Thanks for the write up!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
    Congrats!! Thanks for the write-up!
  • Options
    leeltleelt Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Gz! Was TCSEC tested on the exam?

There's a debate among folks around here was TCSEC finally retired or a couple of questions still have their place on a regular test?

What Sybex says on whether TCSEC is tested or not? I'm pretty sure that they still teach it just in case, so there should be a chapter or two in the book on TCSEC.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    protacticusprotacticus Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for sharing your CISSP experience. Congrats!
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Passing and that's a great write up.
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and keep up the future studies for new certs! Your right about the books. I have seen people get stuck debating over the study materials rather than studying.
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer