Options

DeVry Degrees

dcarey4698dcarey4698 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is sort of a two-question post, haha.

(Question One)

I'm thinking about transferring to DeVry from my local university. I'm either going to get a BS in Computer Information Systems or a BS in Network and Communications Management, depending on which program will accept more transfer credits. I was just seeing if anyone has gotten either one of these from there. And if so, how were the classes (easy, hard, etc.)? And did it help you get a job?

(Question Two)

I've taken quite a few technology courses in my current program, so I'm ready to sit for the CCNA (for a second time) and my university offers 1 free RHCSA cert attempt. After that, I will probably get some Microsoft certs. The reason I'm changing to an online degree is because I want to work full-time in IT and make some half-way decent money while I get it. I have about 6 months Helpdesk experience.

With at least the CCNA, do you think I could get a full-time IT job (Helpdesk or otherwise) while I get my degree online?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stay the hell away from Devry, ITT Tech, UoP and other for-profit schools. There are plenty of online schools that offer the same or better quality education for a fraction of the cost of going to one of those schools. Back in the day, they use to be the only choice if you wanted to get an education online but that is no longer the case. There is no (sane) reason to choose a for-profit school like Devry over a non-profit one.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Of course every situation is different, but generally I'd stay at your local school and finish your current degree there vs. DeVry. You will thank us later. Keep working on the experience and the pay will follow.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1) Don't do it!!!!

DeVry University Sued by Federal Trade Commission | GoodCall News

2) You might be able to land something entry level, bottom of the barrel, but you gotta start somewhere. I was able to get a part-time internship that later turned into a full time gig with just CCNA 15 years ago. Whether you would be able to pull that off now I guess depends on local conditions.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Avoid any of the for-profit 'schools.' They'll land your resume in the trash more often than not.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the others. Based on what you wrote, I think you should stay at your current school.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope you look back years from now and say, "i'm glad I asked about devry before signing up!"
  • Options
    Wow, I sure am glad I did ask haha. What other options would I have as far as online degrees?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dcarey4698 wrote: »
    What other options would I have as far as online degrees?

Come on man! This is your future and your career, put a little effort into them and research your options.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Gamesta400Gamesta400 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out WGU. Lots of people here (including myself) are big fans of them.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i got 2 A.A.S degrees at a local community college then transferred to Franklin University in Columbus, Ohio. i never stepped foot on that campus. 100% online. it is a regionally accredited school that specializes in business but had great instructors. one was a CIO for a nationally known communications company, another was the security director for a large energy provider, one was a DBA for one of the largest insurance companies in the country, etc. the only drawback was the fact that until i got my first IT job i had never laid hands on a commercial grade switch, etc. the Cisco virtual simulator setup was good and actually had pictures on the switch to plug cables into but i feel i was a little behind in that sense.
  • Options
    That was my first choice. But, they're not accepting North Carolina residents at this time pending some evaluation by the University of North Carolina system :/
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions everybody! I'll keep everyone updated on what I end up doing.
  • Options
    Cora5Cora5 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Save yourself the burden of a mountain of student loans. Go to WGU. I can speak from experience. I went to DeVry at a time when choices were limited. PM me if you want a referral for WGU, a referral will wave the $65 application fee.