Options

WGU: MSISA or MSCIA??

Yeah, they're removed the Master of Science: Information Security and Assurance, and replaced it with a Master of Science: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance.

I'm currently in the MSISA program. I could bust my ass and finish it this term, or I could let it slide until May 1st and switch to the new program.

Simple question: Which degree do I want on my resume? Cyber-anything seems a bit buzzwordy, but maybe that's what employers want. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I say it doesn't matter. I would be surprised if anyone questions your degree. Instead of "Master in CyberSecurity required" you'll be more likely to come across something like "Master in CyberSecurity or related field required".
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree that it doesn't matter.

The terms information security, information assurance, and cybersecurity are often used interchangeably and DoD already changed its main references to replace "information assurance" with "cybersecurity." WGU seems to recognize that the term cybersecurity is in vogue.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why would you need to bust your ass and finish it in this term? Won't they let anyone who is already enrolled to finish it out?
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I would hope so, but in the recent past, they're forced program changes on people..
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm hoping they just let me stay in the MSISA. If they make me switch next term, I guess I wouldn't be too pissed if I didn't lose any credits.
  • Options
    josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They did something similar to a friend of mine with the BS in security. They didn't change the name altogether, but only changed up some classes. He didn't lose or gain any credits during the transition to the new degree plan. I suspect it's something similar. Looks like they are relegating LYT2, UVC2, and VUT2 for the MSISA. I'm sure for what ever classes replaces these three they'll give you something if you've taken/completed them or allow you to remain in the ISA plan as opposed to switching to the CIA degree plan.

I'll be curious to know what classes have been put in place and what options they are giving students.
  • Options
    The new classes are C688 Cyberwarfare (lol), C700, and C706, which are Secure Network Design and Secure Software design, not sure which code goes to which course. The cos.wgu.edu/courses/for trick no longer appears to work, so I haven't been able to peek at the materials for the latter two courses, but I have a copy of the course of study for C688 and it's pretty loltastic. As far as I know, the materials for C700 and C706 have not been released yet.

Definitely gonna stay MSISA if I have the choice. I believe they are not accepting any new application for the MSISA program, and I've heard the new program is being phased in starting in March, with limited enrollment for the first few months.
  • Options
    josh.armentrout1josh.armentrout1 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great..... and that was about the time frame I was thinking of jumping into it.

Just the name Cyberwarfare makes it sound like they are prepping us to do battle. Can't wait to fire some photon torpedos
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    The new classes are C688 Cyberwarfare (lol), C700, and C706, which are Secure Network Design and Secure Software design, not sure which code goes to which course. The cos.wgu.edu/courses/for trick no longer appears to work, so I haven't been able to peek at the materials for the latter two courses, but I have a copy of the course of study for C688 and it's pretty loltastic. As far as I know, the materials for C700 and C706 have not been released yet.

The cos.wgu.edu/courses/for trick hasn't worked for me since the recent site change. the taskstream one looks to still work but there are not currently any task stream assignments assigned to the new . I am hoping to get a copy of the COS for the new classes in a month or so once they have completed setting up the degree path.
  • Options
    Well, that's just great....... I should be having a discussion with the enrollment counselor in the near future, I'll be sure to bring this up, and report anything I learn on the matter. If they're going to force me to switch anyways, I might as well just start out working on the Cybersecurity degree.
  • Options
    C688 uses a resource called Jones and Bartlett - seems to have been primarily aimed at EMT and firefighter training in the past? You can see their site here: https://www.jblearning.com/

Specifically, the course uses this material: Cyberwarfare which is a mix of textbook reading and interactive quizzes. I'm not sure yet if this is an objective or performance based class, and I haven't bothered to check Taskstream for anything on this course - I don't care that much. I've looked at the material, and it's not awful, but it's also nothing special.

I will say this much, the jblearning site (and the WGU course materials within the site - sorry, won't share the link, but you may be able to find something through Jones & Bartlett Learning Navigate 2.0 if you want to poke around - I saw no access control notices, so I assume this is a public site, and I will not share the WGU provisioning link so please don't ask) is not ready for launch. Hopefully the WGU faculty perform some testing before going live with the new program. I won't judge them too harshly until we hear from actual enrolled students :)
  • Options
    I talked to my enrollment counselor today, and she assured me that anyone who starts the MSISA by March 1st will be able to finish under that program, that no one will be forced to convert to the MSCIA.
  • Options
    plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    They have a new method for calling the course list if you have some free time it's not to hard to find/determine the course links. I believe so far that C688 is PA and C700 and C706 are OAs.
  • Options
    ablindseyablindsey Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I checked Taskstream, I do not see anything for it yet. As I am pulling my hair out in Cryptography I will probably ask to go into this instead.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I'm in the MSISA program and the only course I have left to complete for MSISA is my capstone. To be clear, in my last term I did not complete my capstone in time. I heard this is actually fairly common. My original mentor told me that I might be able to get up to a 30-day extension (incomplete policy) due to a recent death in the family and some other things going on. However, this mentor quit or was let go and the whole incomplete process was swept under the rug.

Now, the new person I have has told told me WGU got rid of this incomplete policy. This person specifically told me I cannot get an incomplete extension for this scenario because WGU has gotten rid of this exception. Yet, the current WGU Incomplete Course Policy clearly states my situation can invoke the incomplete course policy found here https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Registration-Student-Records/Incomplete-Course-Policy/ta-p/82 (last updated 10-12-2016).

Rather than this person helping me out, it seems he chose to try and academically withdraw me from WGU.
    What does this mean? In simple terms, he tried to suspend me from WGU for 6 months or more because my capstone was not complete.

Now, 37 or so day later....After spending an entire month emailing, calling, and writing letters to WGU, I am finally able to enroll again. WGU seems unwilling to give me the incomplete extension and I must pay for at least another 4 CU for the capstone.
    OK screw it. Sometimes you must eat a turd to **** a turd, right?

If I must pay for 4CU and take another term, should I just switch to the M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance degree and pay the full 8 CU?

If I do switch to M.S. CSIA, then it looks like I must take 2 exams based courses and one more writing based course on top of my capstone.

Here is my rationalization: “Cybersecurity” is the new buzzword and most people have no clue what “information assurance” is. If “cybersecurity” is easier to comprehend by the public and it is a relevant keyword for the next 10-20+ years, then perhaps it would be best to take 3 additional courses.

What do you guys think?
    I want to attain a masters degree (primary objective), but I also think I should make the best of the situation I am in.