Options

Which Job would you choose? Job Dilemma

2»

Comments

• Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would be an easy decision for me...Sys Admin. You seemed to have stumbled onto an unusually high paying desktop support job. Normally that's not the case though. On the other hand it's not hard to find Sys. Admin jobs that pay 80k, 90k, 100k.

Almost always a Sys Admin. job is preferable to a desktop support job. More money, requires more knowledge(which is good for your resume and future job prospects). Most guys in desktop support are trying to get to Sys. Admin.

So Sys. Admin. job title looks much better on the resume. What I always tell people when they are considering taking a job is try not to think 100% about the job now but what comes after this job. Unless you can see yourself doing that job for the rest of your life. And even if that was the case in this economy where people get laid off or fired all the time that's probably not wise.
  • Options
    jimjamesjimjames Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am afraid of burning bridges in the financial industry though. It's big in my city. But I feel like I'm going backwards even though it's my highest paying job so far. If I rescind my acceptance to go the system admin job at the school and it happens to suck, I will hate myself. Bad business ventures ate up my 6 figure saving in a year and after I was laid off, I was on the brink of being homeless, no money to pay for my apartment. so I'm thankful to have something but I'm not happy for some reason.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jimjames wrote: »
    I am afraid of burning bridges in the financial industry though. It's big in my city. But I feel like I'm going backwards even though it's my highest paying job so far. If I rescind my acceptance to go the system admin job at the school and it happens to suck, I will hate myself. Bad business ventures ate up my 6 figure saving in a year and after I was laid off, I was on the brink of being homeless, no money to pay for my apartment. so I'm thankful to have something but I'm not happy for some reason.

You have two offers which means your skill set is desirable. Take the job you have at the hedge fund. if you hate it, it sounds like you can always get another sysadmin job and then at least you gave it a shot. And by then your salary will be higher which should help get your sysadmin salary higher. I feel its harder to get into the financial industry than it is to get a sysadmin job anyway. Personally, i think folks are getting caught up on the title desktop support. This is a good opportunity.

Or, counter the sysadmin role and ask them to match. If they do, then go with that one.

eta: if you do counter, don’t tell them you have accepted another offer. Just tell them you have another offer on the table for 95k+ bonus but you would prefer this role. However, you can’t turn down that type of money. Can you match?
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd choose the junior college. I feel like I'd be happier working there, not dealing with end-users. And I'd love to be able to take some free courses, I've always thought it'd be cool to get a few associate degrees in random stuff, like culinary arts, and automotive repair. Not worth paying for, but would be a nice perk from a job.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like you're wanting to go with the hedgefund position though. So that's who you should go with.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd choose the junior college. I feel like I'd be happier working there, not dealing with end-users. And I'd love to be able to take some free courses, I've always thought it'd be cool to get a few associate degrees in random stuff, like culinary arts, and automotive repair. Not worth paying for, but would be a nice perk from a job.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like you're wanting to go with the hedgefund position though. So that's who you should go with.

I hear you. I would love to do a "fun" degree in culinary arts. Great food and great wine has so much art to it that most people don't even realize. Not out of my pocket though!
  • Options
    I'm going to see if I can negotiate a night /evening shift with the school. If I could get to keep both jobs, it'd be ideal. Wish me luck. Any tips on negotiating an evening or night shift is appreciated.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Work both of those full time jobs at the same time? That's going to be hard and your going to get burn out real quick.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    sthomas wrote: »
    Work both of those full time jobs at the same time? That's going to be hard and your going to get burn out real quick.

agreed.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's doable, but only for so long. I did that the other way around years back, working in network department at Uni I attended while working graveyard shift at local walmart. Made for some LONG days
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    System Administrator role in a flash, Desktop Administration will get old fast and there is only so much growth with Desktop Support. If your a normal IT person you learn and improve over time typically pretty quickly and you'd just get really bored of the mundane tasks...
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote: »
    True, but the benefit will be trying out both. Even if only for a month, then he'll be able to see which he prefers, and can quit the other one if he doesn't like it.
  • Options
    True, but the benefit will be trying out both. Even if only for a month, then he'll be able to see which he prefers, and can quit the other one if he doesn't like it.

I doubt either of these is a true 8 hour job. he would be getting very little sleep and have zero free time.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Sysadmin job, because it will give u sysadmin experience which you can later use to get even better money. Desktop experience will not land you higher paying jobs.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    koz24 wrote: »
    I hear you. I would love to do a "fun" degree in culinary arts. Great food and great wine has so much art to it that most people don't even realize. Not out of my pocket though!

why a degree to do that? just learn that after hours...short courses, classes, heck YouTube, meetups...I wouldn't pay a uni to learn that :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    I doubt either of these is a true 8 hour job. he would be getting very little sleep and have zero free time.

This couldn't be more true. I'm already pulling close to 10 hours daily at the hedge fund and on call. Two jobs would cause a lot of issues.

UPDATE: As you already know I ended up going with the desktop job because their offer came first and also for money and convenience reasons and I already think I've made a mistake.
    I've done desktop support at many industries but not trading/finance people. These people are a difference breed. Two traders have already had me thinking of leaving this job. They are awkward and disrespectful in the way they communicate. And it's the guys not making any real money who are a pain in the ass.

The big men are nice to work with so far but I can't stand those junior guys.

I'm too far advanced in my career to be dealing with this BS.. I blame myself for this situation. Anyway I won't quit because I'm in debt and broke but if things are going to be like this often, I will be looking again.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is the University offer still on the table?
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Is the University offer still on the table?
    I reached out to them today actually. I haven't gotten a response yet. My issue with the college job is after the verbal offer, I had to keep contacting HR to get written offer. Also they lowballed me on the offer, coming back with 10k less than I stated when they asked for my salary requirement which they insisted on me telling. They only communicate when I initiate the contact. It took 3 weeks for a written offer after the verbal offer was made and that's after my would be boss asked them to make it happen, that I was his man..
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jimjames wrote: »
    I reached out to them today actually. I haven't gotten a response yet. My issue with the college job is after the verbal offer, I had to keep contacting HR to get written offer. Also they lowballed me on the offer, coming back with 10k less than I stated when they asked for my salary requirement which they insisted on me telling. They only communicate when I initiate the contact. It took 3 weeks for a written offer after the verbal offer was made and that's after my would be boss asked them to make it happen, that I was his man..

Tell them no thank you.
  • Options
    DrakeisaDrakeisa Banned Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Desktop

More money
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think some people understand that it's not just about the money, but the line of business itself that can become critical to growth in your career.

A Jr. College vs a Hedge fund. The Hedge Fund is going to win by default.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    OP, hang in there. Are you at least getting to mess with the infrastructure? If your job is soley desktop support and no intermingling of networks or servers then I would tough it out for awhile and bust.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon