Options

Passed Sec+

v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Passed Sec+ over the weekend, been too busy celebrating to make a post lol.

Study materials I used were:
Prof Messer Sec+ videos
INE Security+ videos

This book
CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: SY0-401 by Emmett Dulaney, Chuck Easttom | | 9781118875070 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Total study time = 2.5 weeks
I do have experience with working with firewalls and setting up ACLs on network equipment which helped alot and explains why I was able to study and pass in a relatively short amount of time. The hardest section for me was cryptology and encryption.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

What do you plan to do with your new certification? Continue taking additional exams? Use it with your current job? Change jobs (though, Sec+ alone is not a game change, but...some place may need an additional staffer).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Planning to segway into an IT role at a defense manufacturing company. I have a buddy working in IT in the company and Sec+ is favored for IT staff.
  • Options
    tuanp703tuanp703 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D Passed!

I prepared using Darril Gibson Security+ study guide. I also purchased his practice exam guide as well. Did about 3 weeks in total of prep comprising of readying the study guide, did the end of chapter assessment and reread where I did not do so well. I then use the practice exam to test and retest. I also study the ports, OSI, and various encryption methods. To help with my study I utilized Quizlet to help me understand the terms and memorize the purpose. I used Darril's Acronym listings to help with this exercise.

Overall I would say I put in about may be about 100 hours of study between reading, test, retest and reread. I would recommend Darril's books for this preparation. Ready and understand the concept would be my advise to you.

Good luck!
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options