Options

CISSP Study Approach - Self Study vs Boot Camps

Bruce.RinglerBruce.Ringler Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I did the CISSP over 15 years ago and did not keep it up, now I am redoing the exam. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion of self-study vs boot camps, I know everyone learns at different paces.

I have many one-week boot camps in MD, DC, VA and PA. But in talking to the test centers they all use Shon Harris and read you the book in class.

I purchased the Cybex ISC2 CISSP Official Study Guide as my main guide, I purchased the following as backup and double-reading the section I have trouble with:

- Shon Harris CISSP
- ISC2 CISSP CBK Official Guide
- Krutz / Vines CISSP Prep

I see why everyone recommends more than one study guide, no one book seems to cover it all

Has anyone ever failed after taking a boot camp? Do they "stream-line" the studying for the exam?

Thanks

B.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Boot camps aren't a sure thing, they merely serve as a final overload to be honest...you have to put additional work in. However that doesn't mean you can't pass without going to one.
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the Training Camp through (ISC)2 at their Dallas Location, Dex Media Conference Center & Hotel. It was taught by Buzz Murphy and utilized the (ISC)2 CISSP Official Training Guide, which should NOT be confused with the (ISC)2 CISSP Official Guide. The class book is much better than the regular guide, but unfortunately, you cannot buy it new..you may be able to find a used copy on ebay or amazon.

I enjoyed the class and feel that it helped add to the knowledge I had, gave some great feed back from other classmates on some of the practices and helped re-affirm what I had learned during my 20+ years of IT security and the Study Materials I had read over the past year.

I don't have much experience with other Boot camps other than a Sec+ one taken a couple of years ago. But would recommend that if you take a CISSP course, you make sure they use a current book for reference. Shon Harris' book is on the old domain, and will not place the correct emphasis on the new standards. (ISC)2 is working to be a better world certification and as such is shifting emphasis from U.S. Standards to World Standards like ISO 27001..

Good Luck
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have already done the CISSP 15 years ago I doubt you're new to security. I'd skip the boot camp (unless work is 100% paying for it) and do a combo of cybrary.it videos (free and very good), the books you already have and the ccure practice test engine.
  • Options
    Bruce.RinglerBruce.Ringler Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started doing the study book questions, but, feel I also need to create a memory chart (**** Sheet) to make sure I remember everything; The 7 OSI layers, Ports, etc, but the book questions also have question relating to STRIDE, etc.

I feel like I also need to memorize the http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/Images/CISSP_Summary_V1.1.pdf

What else can I do to prep for the current test?

B