What Certs Should I get?

zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been working IT for about 4 years. First as a helpdesk intern at a IT dept at my college and then as jack of all trades IT tech at a municipality. I want to find another job elsewhere and become a network engineer. What certs should I look into getting? Should I start with an A+? CCNA? Network+?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What are you interested in?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    networking and security
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Networking: N+, CCENT, ICND2, CCNP Routing & Switching, CCIE, WCNA, JNCIA, etc.
    Security: Security+, CEH, CASP, OSCP, CISSP, CISM, etc.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Also, make sure you take the pulse of your local market. Go to Indeed or similar and search for the position you want. That will help you understand what employers are looking for.
  • NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are new to networking, I would recommend splitting the CCNA portion into ICND1 & ICND2. While more expensive, I think you will get more out of it.
  • dublatedublate Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my area, there are way more desktop support roles rather than things like networking and system admin positions. Networking is hard to get into if you are trying to work your way up.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    In that case, many companies will hire from within and you may be able to make lateral moves to infrastructure roles from the service desk. If you are struggling to find networking roles in your area, consider relocating an option if that career path is something you truly desire.

As others have said, definitely get your CCNA. That is a good starting point.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • OmniTechOmniTech Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd also try to diversify if you can. Start with with Cisco, then work your way with Juniper, etc. Taking a look locally what employers are looking for will give you some good insight.