Options

FNG - Advice Needed

NHazzNHazz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I am so glad to have found this community! My name is Nick and I am almost complete with my Associate in Computer Network Engineering from a local community college. I am also in Air Force with a little over 8 years in to date. I guess I just wanted opinions/advice on a current path I have decided to take. I planned on transferring to Central Washington next year to pursue their BAS ITAM degree. I have already talked to admissions over there and everything. My ultimate question is- What would I ultimately need to do gain in experience in IT? My job in the Air Force has nothing to do with IT save for using Microsoft Office Word/Excel etc. but that isn't really worth anything. I have ALWAYS been interested in computers for many years, my dad messed around with them when I was growing up. I planned on separating at the end of my enlistment (201icon_cool.gif, I will be just at 10 years. I know certifications are important, I planned on studying for certification in addition to my school work. A+ books are already on there way. I know I may also be a little ahead of myself, but I think I am just excited going forward with all of this. The military has done so much for me, as I have no student loans or debt. I have ultimately just become tired of the lifestyle and feel I am ready to make the switch. Any and all advice is welcome, I really do appreciate it.

-Thank You
Nick

Comments

• Options
    Oh when I said separate I meant Palace Chase and going Traditional Guard!
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    What is your AFSC? If you're going traditional ANG, is there a reason you wouldn't look in to cross-training in to an AFSC that would help you get the experience you want? If not, check with your base education office - they might have resources available to you that could help you get an IT job. Or perhaps your 4-year school might have information about internships or entry-level jobs.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    I'm a 1C5, its a command and control AFSC-no relation to IT at all. The thought of cross-training has entered my mind, but with only a couple of years left and while finishing school it doesn't seem to be my best course of action, especially if I have to extend my enlistment. I appreciate the response, will check with the Ed office.