Options

I need your advice on a JOB Interview with CTO

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello guys,

I really have never had this happen. I have applied for a job as a Network Engineer for a company. Their recruiter called me and interviewed me over the phone and wants me to drive next week to the city in where I would possibly work and meet the CTO of the company PETCO and listen to the goals of their company and do some kind of interview with them. I am kind of freaked out only that they want me to meet the CTO direct. What should expect with a company like this? I mean the recruiter just said they want to meet me and get to know my goals and listen to the goals of the company. I will do my best but what kind of interview is this? Anyone experience something like this. I think it would be a great opportunity to grow with this company. They have some lofty goals and it would be exciting to be a part of something like this. Any tips for me ? Have you guys experienced something like this? Sounds like they want to bring an archaic LAN/WAN up to speed and merging with another company as well. Sounds exciting. I have done a lot with MPLS and BGP so this should be fun.

Comments

• Options
    jimjamesjimjames Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't be intimidated. I've interviewed with company presidents on first interviews. They are just like any other interviewers once you relax and forget that they are C level execs. They were low level employees before they became an exec.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice I will report back what happens. Sounds like a cool company to work for this guy meeting me and all.
    wow icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't ever remember interviewing with a CTO, but I've interviewed many times with VP of technology and director of technology.

They are just another person, granted they are in a higher position. But at the end of the day it's more likely someone from the engineering teams that will keep you from getting the job than a C level executive or VP of technology guy. Usually those are formality interviews provided you come across as intelligent, have some general knowledge about the job/environment and act like it a job you really want and are confident you can do.

Usually you won't get sent to do an interview with the VP or C level type unless the hiring manager has already made the decision to hire you. So you would have to come off really bad in your interview with the CTO or VP to get turned down for the job. Afterall the primary responsibility of a CTO or VP isn't to interview engineering candidates. That falls on the hiring manager and the engineering team. They will have already given you the thumbs up on your technical ability and whether they think you are a fit before you even get sent to interview with a CTO or VP so in that regards it's usually an easy interview, you just have to not blow it.

Having said that in your case it maybe a little different since you are interviewing with the CTO first. But I'm guessing it's the same thing just in reverse. They want to see if you are a fit, probably going to be like a 15 minute interview, almost like an HR interview. Getting past the interview with the hiring manager and engineering team maybe the far more difficult part depending on your skillset.
  • Options
    ok the petco recruiter called me we talked and he wants me to meet the CTO and engineer. maybe they have many people applying this week but i will do my best ... what else can i do the are merging two companies of which i am sure i can do .. i am excited because they need someone who can help bring older network to a better new merged network..i will let you know what happens just i didnt expext CTO over a billion sales company wow
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Your interviewing for a job already, I thought you had a job you loved at fisrve or something? I guess the honeymoon is over????
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    hhahhh funny...nope my job at fiserv was great loved it but I had to move back to my home town got a job ...long story but life changes cause us to change my friend, but fiserv was a great job loved it the network engineer role...seeking same kind of role network engineering.