CISSP - Passed, Endorsed & Officially Certified

rajpoot296rajpoot296 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,
I am a relatively silent member but I have learned a lot from the posts in this forum and thank all those that have been helping and continue to do so.

I started serious studying at the end of August 2015 and booked my exam for 3 months later.

Game plan.

(Start exercising if you do not already exercise)

Week 1 -2:
  1. Listen to audio lectures of Shaun Harris
  2. Listen to audio lectures of Sari Greene
I listened to the lectures daily. Utilized the travel time to work and back.
Spent more time over the weekend.
Completed both lectures 1 time each.

Week 3 - 4:
  1. Start reading Shaun Harris Book AIO
  2. Start practice exams provided with AIO
Note: I listened, read and understood the concepts and did not go ahead until I understood what I was listening or reading.
I will give more thanks to Sari Greene as her lectures are more up to date.

Week 5 - 6:
  1. Start reading Sybex
  2. Start practice exam with Sybex
  3. Start to focus more on practice exams
  4. Get on the go practice exams
  5. Start mapping my Info Security role to the domains in CISSP (This became a key for me as it helped me excel in my current role and get a solid grasp on what the exam was expecting.)
Week 7 and onwards:
  1. Repeat what was done in weeks 1-6 but more quickly
  2. Start thinking positive and get a "Yes I can do it" attitude (but be humble and thankful to the creator)
I studied with dedication and felt ready before the exam as I took so many mock exams and repeated 250 question drill many times as I realized I need to be mentally prepared to finish the exam not only in time but I need the time to recheck if needed.

The Exam:
I was done with the exam in 2.5 hours and marked 15-20 questions for later review.
I did get a couple of questions that I had no clue about but obviously selected an answer.

My method was to eliminate the wrong ones rather than looking for the right answer in all 4 choices.

I do feel relieved and now working towards some other certs.

Thanks again to all the wonderful people who have been helping the forum readers.

Comments

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rajpoot296 wrote: »
    Start mapping my Info Security role to the domains in CISSP (This became a key for me as it helped me excel in my current role and get a solid grasp on what the exam was expecting.)

Excellent point. I found that I could remember stuff much more easily if it related to my own experience. Reading the material also led me to question the way things are done in my organization.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gess, you might also want to list your experience in IT Security.....
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    do you have a link for the audio lectures of Shaun Harris ? or somewhere I could buy them?

Disregard I think I found them :

https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl

Good job on the pass. I hope to join you soon.
  • rajpoot296rajpoot296 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    do you have a link for the audio lectures of Shaun Harris ? or somewhere I could buy them?

Disregard I think I found them :

https://www.mhprofessional.com/sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl

Good job on the pass. I hope to join you soon.

Thank you good luck. I am sure you will be in CISSP rank soon.
    havoc64 wrote: »

I have a Masters in Information in Network Security, along with about 6 years of different roles in Info Sec, ranging from Cyber Security to Information Security Risk Management.
    sameoj wrote: »
    Congrats

Thanks!
    Congrats!

Thanks!
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'm a little under 2 months away from my exam date and love reading these!
  • jones551jones551 Member Posts: 154 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great Work! Congrats..
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    havoc64 wrote: »

Given the wide breadth of information covered by the eight domains everyone taking the exam should be able to apply their work history to some aspects of the material. I was a detainee operations officer for a brief stint in Afghanistan a while ago. I didn't credit it to anything on my endorsement form but it helped with the fencing and lighting stuff in the Security Operations domain. I'm just saying that finding creative ways to make the material relateable is a lot more productive than trying to memorize everything.

Right now I do mostly patch management so I claimed Security Operations as one of my domains. Before that when I was in the service I was responsible for Classified Media so my second domain was Asset Security.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□