Options

Confused!

mkazimkazi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
So i'm really lost at the moment. I have my CCNA R&S, A+ and Network+. I eventually want to get into network security. I've only done an internship with Cerner Corp. as an "implementation engineer" and that was even before my CCNA R&S. (Got into the program through a connection). Did that for about 9 months without any salary and just lived off my savings from working at the bank while getting my Associates of Science.

Cerner Corp. is in health information systems/technology and that's the only "IT experience" i have.

Should i get my Security+, CCNA Security or finish at least my CCNP RST before getting into the "security certs"? Also, i noticed CompTIA has an HIT (health info technology) cert. Worth getting now or later?

I don't really care (at the moment) if i work for a HIS / HIT company or something else. Also, i don't have my bachelor's degree. I understand it is a HUGE PLUS in most jobs to have your bachelor's but i feel that if enough certs focusing on a specific field in IT and my Associates plus my internship experience...i should be able to land a job.

Also, just check out WGU Health Informatics and IT Security programs...i want to know if it's a well recognized Uni and worth getting my BS. in Health Informatics or Cyber Security..

Another option is if i should go for any Microsoft certs? OH MAN IM SOOO LOST RIGHT NOW!! and i don't know whyyyyy! PLEASE HELP! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_sad.gif

FYI - im 29 years of age with plenty of anxiety issues icon_lol.gif

PS: fuz1on if you are reading this..thank you for your PM reply...please feel free to add to this but i just thought i should get more than just one opinion.
"No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

Goals 2016: CCNA Sec OR CCNP R&S

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest you go find a job with what you have and let it lead you down a path.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How close are you to finishing CCNP R&S?
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are no certifications and or degrees that trump real world experience mate. I would recommend you start by finding a job and working your way up. It's rare to have the opportunity to be a Network engineer / architect / administrator if you have very little job experience in the networking world, unless it's with a small company willing to take less experienced people for lower wages. The only certification that proves anything in the networking world, is something like the CCIE, and I don't recommend going for that without real world experience. I would start looking for Junior network admin / engineering positions, things along those lines, you may even find that you just need to get your foot in the door at a company and start on a helpdesk or something along those lines.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Look for any IT jobs you can find. Even if it's a Tier II Helpdesk job. Once you are in, start your research on the next company you want to work for & build your connection. You also should get with a good IT recruiter. Create an excellent, professional LinkedIn account & slowly add people that may be helpful to get your foot in the door. I was in a low end retail business almost all my life. Then I decided, enough is enough. I finished my Net+, Sec+, CCNA(R&S) and apply for a job here at Dell, Oklahoma City. It's been a year & half since I joined Dell & I already got a Double Promotion & now I'm an Enterprise Advance Support Product Engineer. Since I got with Dell, I've also finished my CCDA & CCNP(R&S) & now working on my VCP6-DCV. I love Dell. They take care of you like family & pay is really good.

Keep your heads up buddy. Just remember, it's not all about the certification & Degree, it has lot to do with how well you can network with the right people. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    wow! i thought that i posted a panic thread but THANK YOU guys so much for the input! I was thinking of applying to Dell also but in Houston. Either way, there's still a couple of weeks till i get back to the US.

So i guess i'll look for entry-ish level position with a company and rack up as much real world experience that i can and then continue with Certs when i figure out what i really want to do.

Also, Koz24 i haven't yet started CCNP RS...i just got my CCNA RS in December. However, while job hunting i'm going to start studying for it in the next couple of weeks.
    "No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

• Options
    CCNP R&S will take a while to get and may not provide immediate value to your resume like other certs can. I would look into CCNA Security(1 exam) and CCNA Collaboration(2 exams). You can do those 3 exams a lot faster than CCNP R&S.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    CCNP R&S will take a while to get and may not provide immediate value to your resume like other certs can. I would look into CCNA Security(1 exam) and CCNA Collaboration(2 exams). You can do those 3 exams a lot faster than CCNP R&S.

Hmm..that makes sense. I think i might start with CCNA Sec...however, do you think Security+ is worth it, as a pre-req to CCNA SEC or just in the case of adding value to my resume?

• Options
    mkazi wrote: »
    Hmm..that makes sense. I think i might start with CCNA Sec...however, do you think Security+ is worth it, as a pre-req to CCNA SEC or just in the case of adding value to my resume?

Hmm, good question. I don't know much about Security+. From my understanding it's just a general overview of all security topics whereas CCNA Security is solely network security as Cisco sees it. I don't think you need Sec+ before starting CCNA Sec, if you have CCNA R&S which you do, you should be good to go.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Hmm, good question. I don't know much about Security+. From my understanding it's just a general overview of all security topics whereas CCNA Security is solely network security as Cisco sees it. I don't think you need Sec+ before starting CCNA Sec, if you have CCNA R&S which you do, you should be good to go.

heh, yeah i just check the topics and Sec+ is nothing like CCNA SEC for the reasons you stated. I need to research more before posting! Thanks though!

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    You may not have to start at the bottom necessarily. Before I applied at Dell, I've created a customized LinkedIn profile in such a way that if I'm the hiring manager, how I would want to see a prominent canditate's profile. Then I added some Dell managers & high end techs on my profile. Requested for mentoring from them folks. Remember, there are plenty of people out there who has all the heavy-named certs but not everyone will get the job. You got to seperate yourself from the crowd. Also, knowing Red Hat will always give you extra edge..

mkazi wrote: »
    wow! i thought that i posted a panic thread but THANK YOU guys so much for the input! I was thinking of applying to Dell also but in Houston. Either way, there's still a couple of weeks till i get back to the US.

So i guess i'll look for entry-ish level position with a company and rack up as much real world experience that i can and then continue with Certs when i figure out what i really want to do.

Also, Koz24 i haven't yet started CCNP RS...i just got my CCNA RS in December. However, while job hunting i'm going to start studying for it in the next couple of weeks.