materials for Security+

cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
Started with: Security+ for Dummies and CBT Nuggets Security+. These were good introductions to the protocols, procedures and objectives for the test.

I then looked at the Sybex based FastPass Security+ and it was laid out as a review of critical information for the test. A good study guide once you understand the material and need to start memorizing critical details for the test.

Now i am working with the Syngress Security+ and it is a world of difference. This book covers it all and SHOWS you how to apply the objectives. It's nice to not just understand the objectives but to know how to use them. Syngress Security+ is the best training tool i have encountered so far. Hands on makes a world of difference. I'm already using some of the things it has shown to monitor the kids in my house and our family. (I like knowing whats going on with our kids).

The book was $40 at Borders but you may find it cheaper at Amazon or Ebay. Syngess 5 Stars.
Cheers,
Dan
To protect and to serve(r)...

Comments

• Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Well as for my experience with security + I liked the Microsoft book. I normally never recommend the microsoft books for ANY exam. But they covered each objective and were very thorough in covering each topic. Seeing that previously I had little experience in InfoSec the book got me off running to a great start. I give the book and its author 10 stars. As for the rest of the MS books, I am not pleased at all.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    What was the title of the MS book? How much was it?
    Thanks for the info
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Security+ Certification Training Kit
    Authors: Andy Ruth & Kurt Hudson

View this link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6384.asp
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I just bought the Syngress book 2 nights back but I have not finished with my second book yet... Almost done with it though.

I did flip through the Syngress book a little and from what I have seen it does look like it will be the best of the the 3 books I have bought.
  • coming from someone who passed this exam, I personally recommend Syngress Security+. These guys are right about the book. This is the book that worked for me. Don't waste time or money on any other materials, this book has more than what is needed to pass the exam.
    Does anyone have an app setup or a file that can be printed out for flash cards? Just thought I'd ask and save myself the time. This way I could carry the flash cards with me and use them in spare moments.

Cheers
  • sunnysysadmsunnysysadm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Based on the majority of the people who are posting in this forum, I have ordered the Syngress book from Amazon.com after not being able to find it in my local book store. I noticed on Amazon (see link) that it takes 4 to 6 weeks to deliver the book !! Does anyone know why it takes that long ? Is the book just that popular ??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931836728/qid=1142439503/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/002-6400478-5889616?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Sunny
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you really need it soon you can always buy it used and get it within a few days. The following link shows where you can buy it used.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?S=R&qisbn=1931836728&qsort=p&siteID=uTKYNncJNRY-dr7jF6W3b8fW82DNl8UWVw
    I tried to the adobe flash cards in pdf format that were included with the sybex Security+ and the Sybex Security+ FastPass, but they didn't have very much info on them at all. I was thinking of transforming that pdf into a Palm pdf file and put the file on my treo 650. Ideas are rolling but time is limited. (Ain't that how it usually is) I was thinking maybe flash cards or Powerpoint presentation. But to carry with you, flash cards would be ideal. They don't have to boot up and have power. They just sit in your pocket! icon_rolleyes.gif