Options

Cant get laptops to accept an IPv6 address.

scotlawrencescotlawrence Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, im having trouble with my CCNA home lab.
im trying to set up a Ipv6 practice configuration, and my end devices are giving me problems.

I have three Cisco routers, three switches, and three Windows 7 laptops as end/host devices.
The routers are working fine, for IPv6, but I cant get the laptops to take a IPv6 address.

All three laptops are running Windows 7, nothing in the home lab is attached to the internet.

On the laptops, I go to:

- Network and Sharing center.
- Change adapter settings.
- Local Area connection.
- Properties
- (choose IPv6)
- Properties

I can manually type in the Ipv6 addresses:
address
subnet prefix
default gateway

Im confidant im using proper IPv6 addresses.
(the routers are taking them fine, and I can ping them from router to router)

after typing them in, on the laptops, I click on ok..

Two of the laptops (which are the same model) then say: "you must shut down your computer before the new settings will take effect"
So I shut down and reboot..

The third laptop, a different model from the other two, does not give the "you must shutdown" message..
it just seems to take the Ipv6 config..same as statically configuring an IPv4 address.

but on all three..whether I reboot or not..
when I go back in, the IPv6 address are not there..they dont "take"..
going to ipconfig /all also shows nothing..

The three laptops wont take a manually configured IPv6 address..
anyone know why?

thanks,
Scot

Comments

• Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's sound like a Microsoft problem. Do you have the validate settings upon exit check? Try netsh interface ipv6 set address to set the address and netsh interface ipv6 show address to verify the configuration. Also try setting up a IPV6 DHCP server on one of the routers and set the PC to automatic.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    What kind of gear are you using? Older gear suppressed RA messages by default, but I might be remembering it wrong.