Options

DHCP Binding question

jebrown21jebrown21 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I use a 891W as my main wireless router to force myself to use CLI instead of using a Linksys. Was trying to VNC my other PC earlier and it was failing. I did a show ip dhcp binding to check it out and didn't see it listed. I did a ipconfig on the PC and it had a different IP and was able to route to the internet without any issues.

I suppose I'm just wondering what would cause the show ip dhcp binding not to show a device's DHCP lease but still function?Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    when you did ipconfig was the ip 169.x.x.x ,while set on to obtain ip via dhcp ?
  • Options
    jebrown21jebrown21 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nope, it was 172.16.20.18, used to be .11 which is why VNC failed to connect but it had no issues routing to external networks. Just confuses me that it wasn't listed in show ip dhcp binding.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The PC could have been using a static (manually assigned) IP Address or another device could have assigned the address using DHCP. Is there another device such as a home router on your network?

The above post mentions 169.254.0.0, which is known as APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing). Basically, it is a range of IP Addresses (Class B Network) that PCs can automatically assign themselves an address from should they be unable to obtain a DHCP lease. These addresses are Link Local in scope and are unroutable, but there are circumstances where they can be useful such as connecting an HDHomeRun TV Tuner directly to a HTPC (Home Theater PC).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]