Options

Great Article on Salary and Recruiters

jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
Thought since this question comes up from time to time a good read about it would be appropriate. Take a look through it, especially you guys new in the field wanting to know about salary negotiations.

Forbes Welcome

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That was a really good read. I've actually had a few recruiters contact me recently and one of the first questions that comes up is regarding my salary. It's almost as if they're trying to employ you at the lowest salary possible.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Completely agree with the article. One of the only reasons I really like recruiters is they are usually very upfront with the salary range, if they try to hold that info back I'm not even going to talk to them. I had one contact me the other day with, "I have a security engineering role about 10 mins from your listed home city, pays $XXXK and is a great company with amazing benefits, interested?" Nice and direct, no point in playing this weird game where they can't continue until they know your salary, total BS.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a rule I pretty much developed on my own: If you're the one calling/emailing me unsolicited, assume that i'm content in my current position and am not going to bail without some incentive. Therefore, you should be ready to disclose the salary range upfront or when asked. You SHOULD NOT expect me to give you my salary expectations without disclosing your number first. If you're calling me because I expressed my interest first, then I'm completely happy to give you my range because I did the requisite research to support my number. My first two jobs after the military were for pretty crummy pay. I'm just happy to finally be in a position where I don't have much to lose when playing these games.