Options

Master's Degree Question

danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
For all of you who are currently enrolled or finished a Master's Degree, I am looking into student loans for grad school. Can anyone shed some light on what company you've had a good experience with? Sallie Mae, Wells Fargo, etc. Thanks!
I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

Comments

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do standard federal subsidized and unsubsidized student loans. There is an option on the FAFSA. I have some serious student loan debt that I am trying to repay. The interest is in the high 6's fixed. I got my VA home loan at 3.25%. Really stinks to pay so much interest for a student loan.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Go get the GI bill and have the government pay for it . Choose an IT /Satcom job or MI. Join the Reserves /National Guard. Give me a few days and I will ask some of the people in my class who they use.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apply via FASFA and utilize government loans. That way you will be able to have income based repayment and loan forgiveness after ten years of payments.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I applied via FAFSA as well for my Master's degree. It gives plenty of flexibility in terms of payment plans. I used Sallie Mae for my Associate's and they worked well for me.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply guys, as far as FASFA, would it cover all of my tuition or partial?
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply guys, as far as FASFA, would it cover all of my tuition or partial?
    It depends on your income. If you make a ton of money, no. If you don't make much, you can get extra money that will be sent to you as a check after tuition is paid.
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Looks like 1/2 of the people in my program are using FASFA if that helps any.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    What are you budgeting? I actually just paid 1/2 cash 1/2 employer reimbursement.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are going above the subsidized loan limits you can get a private loan as well. I think some people might be confused thinking the FAFSA gets you grant money, which it does not past the BS level.
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on your field... However, as this is an IT forum, I would strongly recommend against taking out loans for a masters degree.

I have a MS CIS and guarantee its yet to do anything for me other than fill in a few extra lines on my resume.

Granted, I'm still a tech person and have not ventured over into management where others might actually value it. That being said, my degree was 100% paid by my employer as was my wife's.

Leave the grad school bills to employers.
  • Options
    No_Nerd wrote: »
    Looks like 1/2 of the people in my program are using FASFA if that helps any.

Thanks No_Nerd for remembering my question and getting more information for me

@RHEL I would be doing my Master's in Cybersecurity, I would love to leave my school bill to my employer, I work at a university, they would pay for my Master's there, however, they don't have a program I am interested in. They will not reimburse me for my Master's elsewhere. It would cost about $32,000 for 1 year.

Thanks everyone for your input!