Options

Load balancer certification (F5)

I just wanted to get the communities feedback on a load balancer cert.
I have actually been working for a load balancer company (Kemp) and I'm thinking about perusing my cert in F5. Reason being is I have good knowledge about load balancing in general(persistent / scheduling etc) but having a industry standard certification can't go wrong in anyway.

Currently have my CCNA R/S.
Goals for 2016 would be F5 and Palo Alto.
I don't have jumping ships anytime soon but having r/s knowledge + load balancer + firewall will make me a well rounded person, for my job and if I decide to leave when ever that may be.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Gpdriver17Gpdriver17 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm curious to see what people say. I've noticed a LOT of job postings mention experience with F5 load balancers...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    F5 certification is a hug plus! I was working on the applications fundamentals 101 and was planning on taking the TMOS 201. F5 is huge and the leader in LBs. I changed jobs to a security role so i had to refocus my cert studies to security. I bought the BIGIP VM edition and I get all the practice i want from it. It is only $99.

Get the VM, buy the cert guides (there are two on amazon) and go get those certs man. Highly valuable and always in demand for certified F5 engineers.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    Chris,
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing, just because I have seen alot of jobs out there which require that as well.
    Also I have the trail 90 day version deployed at my work vmware environment, and I'm using CBT nuggets keith barker videos and the doc from f5 site.
    Like i said i work with a load balancer 5 days a week so i'm good with concepts just need to learn the new technology so i don't think it would take me more than a month or two to kill both those exams.
    If anyone is interested and doesn't have the time to deploy their own vmware F5 has an option to spin up labs on the fly. Here is the link if anyone is interested.
    https://f5.learn.com/learncenter.asp?id=178412&sessionid=3-724D6F2F-84DC-4AEB-BB01-A7A2C045DF16&page=26

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Don't know about certifications, but f5 skills are HIGHLY valuable!! Definitely go for it!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do it </Palpatine>
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This was in one of the many random emails I get from recruiters:

F5 certifications (e.g.: F5-CA, F5-CTS, F5-CADE, F5-CADA)

So I guess some companies do look for it.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here's another vote for F5. I definitely get calls out of my F5 experience (I should make sure that's on latest copy of my resume)
  • Options
    mayhem87mayhem87 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure in the need out in the market but VARs are looking for people to either get them or hire those that have them for the F5 guardian qualification. You don't need to buy any cert guides the ones on F5's site work just fine by Eric Mitchell. Used those all the way from 101 to the 300's. Main thing is just lab. You can sign up for the trial vm and just use that for studies.
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys

Could you tell if these guides are enough for F5-Certified Big-IP Administrator exams 101&201?

https://www.f5.com/pdf/certification/exams/Certification_Study_Guide_101.pdf
    https://www.f5.com/pdf/certification/exams/Certification_Study_Guide_201.pdf
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I'm very interested in the F5 certs. They are on my list after I finish the CCNP:R&S.

Let me know how you get on.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle