Options

Best for career path?

DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I work as a sys admin for the organization I’m in. I love IT and am looking for a structured way to continue to progress in my career.

My duties include: R2 admin, SCCM admin, Active Directory/DRA admin, PKI admin and setting up workstations/servers as need be. It is boring and easy.

I am looking at becoming more technical as I really enjoy complex problems and solutions.
While creating networks in amazon AWS I realized that although I can fumble through creating VPC’s; I am really lacking in the networking arena. So my question is this…

What cert would be most beneficial in ultimately achieving a more technical IT job in the future. MCSE or CCNA==>P?

With my background I thought MCSE, but it’s kind of boring to me doing the admin stuff. I like the concept of making things talk and work more than maintaining/administrating things. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Well, you say you are weak in the networking arena. So go and prepare for the CCNA and fortify your knowledge in that area. Having that foundational networking knowledge will help you in your sys admin realm and any future endeavors.

After you complete the cert, evaluate whether you want to pursue networking (if you enjoyed the journey) or if you want to continue in systems. If you choose systems, the MCSE would be great goal to have.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say MSCE, throw in a CCNA and some virtualization (VCP) and call it a day!
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if you are bored with MCSA tasks what makes you think MCSE will be any different for you? Sounds to me like you need to try the network side and see if it is better for you. That is what I did and I'm loving it.