Options

Which track?

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
I'm going to take my CCENT in just under a month and am planning on going all the way to the CCIE. My question is what track I should take? During college I was interested in studying voice but now that they made the collaboration I don't have the funds to spend thousands of dollars on the equipment. I'm also interested in security and you can never go wrong with R&S. What is in most demand?

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This article is from 2014 but in 2014 R&S(73%) was most in demand followed by Voice(21%) http://www.bradreese.com/blog/2-18-2014.htm#1 Data Center probably moved up a bit since then if I had to guess. CCIE Security is going to cost a ton, btw. I would go with R&S first.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    $107k for CCNA DataCenter? That sounds way too high.
  • Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    Global Knowledge wants you to pay 7090USD or 3k usd for there bootcamp. That`s why they make those ridiculous salary ranges without taking area/experience etc into effect.

All tracks make money just do what you like, me personally I like SP and security.
  • Options
    Global Knowledge's prices are ridiculous. 3.5k a pop for each CCNP Security course so $14k total.icon_rolleyes.gif You can get IPX/Micronics for 4k and it goes deeper.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    whats in demand is a wide question to ask when starting at ccent level,answer is everything but for each position there are dozen applicants,your just starting out,so while enthusiasm is good in time in will change,what you think and like now might be different 2 years from now.

work towards ccna-once you get there seek advice from people in your college lecturers,is first line of knwoledge and some advise can go long ways to point you in the right direction.

data centers are in high demand,but actual numbers of employed people wary to very small extent once they up and running,thus not many people needed to maintain them afterwards.

cyber security is new hype atm,while its lvl8 compared to lvl 6 where i live,this amounts to ccnp level + course,it doesn't cost thou as much as ccnp numbers thrown here if found in decent college with some grant on top or funding from companies.Also its a deep field covering every aspect of OSI layer there is.

Thus not saying dont hit high but take each goal step at a time,also get work experience if your young and in college anything will count,to build solid foundation to go up.
  • Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    koz24 wrote: »
    Global Knowledge's prices are ridiculous.

Last year, when I was just getting into the cert scene, my cousin highly recommended Global Knowledge if I want to go the Cisco and/or Microsoft route. And if I want to break into the tech field and get certified that GK is what I need to do. When I went to the GK site and looked up some of the Cisco and VMWare courses I nearly soiled myself -- $3k+ for CCENT/CCNA course! $4k+ for VCP6 course! What's funny is that I found this forum because of that. I was looking for alternative study options to GK and found my way here. Not bad!
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Options
    Last year, when I was just getting into the cert scene, my cousin highly recommended Global Knowledge if I want to go the Cisco and/or Microsoft route. And if I want to break into the tech field and get certified that GK is what I need to do. When I went to the GK site and looked up some of the Cisco and VMWare courses I nearly soiled myself -- $3k+ for CCENT/CCNA course! $4k+ for VCP6 course! What's funny is that I found this forum because of that. I was looking for alternative study options to GK and found my way here. Not bad!

Yeah, GK is a joke. Don't even go through them even if work pays for them. You can get much better prices/courses almost everywhere else you look.
  • Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    koz24 wrote: »
    $107k for CCNA DataCenter? That sounds way too high.

I am also a little skeptical on the entry-level cert salaries at the end.
    $79,942 for CCNA R&S? $70-80k for A+, Sec+, Net+?

My close friend holds all 4 of these and has 10 years experience in IT and isn't even making 1/2 of that. I guess it just depends on the market and etc.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $79,942 for CCNA R&S? $70-80k for A+, Sec+, Net+?

My close friend holds all 4 of these and has 10 years experience in IT and isn't even making 1/2 of that. I guess it just depends on the market and etc.

Wow... what market is your friend in?
    He should generally be making at least 60...