Options

Starting MS:ISA at WGU March 1st (now)

EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well, it's time for me to start diving into the MS:ISA. I technically start on March 1st, but today, I completed the orientation, and am now looking through the first course, Current and Emerging Technology (LYT2). The course seems pretty straightforward, and the first assignment looks like it will be a cakewalk. Hopefully it will turn out that way.

My goal is to complete the program by the end of the year, as I am paying out of pocket, and want to limit my expense. Here's to hoping I can stay on track, and there are no major snags. I should be meeting my mentor sometime next week, I know mentors' styles differ wildly, so I've got my fingers crossed that luck of the draw turns out well.

Comments

• Options
    tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am joining you on this journey. I have started the readings for the first LYT2 task, but I am also trying to squeeze in some Server2012 studies.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • Options
    I am joining you on this journey. I have started the readings for the first LYT2 task, but I am also trying to squeeze in some Server2012 studies.
    Nice, should be a fun time!

I've already written up the first assignment, got about three pages. Anyone who has been through this already, is there a minimum page amount they're looking for, or is three enough?
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You could ask a course mentor. I haven't done the MS yet, but when I did the BS it was always more about meeting rubric requirements with comprehensive answers that had sufficient detail. TaskStream evaluators are very rigid with the rubric.
  • Options
    You could ask a course mentor. I haven't done the MS yet, but when I did the BS it was always more about meeting rubric requirements with comprehensive answers that had sufficient detail. TaskStream evaluators are very rigid with the rubric.
    I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I can ask the course mentors, as I'm not technically enrolled in the courses yet. But that sounds perfect for me, as I've always been great at concise writing, but could never get papers to be long enough to meet minimum page requirements. If they're only looking for substance, rather than length, I'll be golden.
  • Options
    Passed Risk Management on my first attempt. Pretty surprised there, it was such a big assignment, but everything went through fine. My guess is the grader went fast, because it had so many sections haha.

Security Policies and Standards is a pain.... Had to reach out to the mentor to get some guidance. Hopefully these tips will smooth the process out....

Current and Emerging Technologies is fairly straightforward, but I've had my assignments sent back a couple times for little things. Hopefully the third time is the charm.
  • Options
    Good work! I am falling so behind in Risk Management. I also switch to the MSCIA.
  • Options
    Thanks. I was hoping to be making better progress, but overall, I'm on track. Risk Management as a whole felt like a major struggle, but having it pass on the first attempt really makes it feel like a breeze in retrospect. You'll get there too, I'm sure!

How is the MSCIA?
  • Options
    Well I am still on Risk Management so I will let you know. I only made the switch because this program is one more Objective test than the other. I would rather take tests then write papers.
  • Options
    I'm the opposite, I prefer to write papers. I hate studying, but writing papers keeps me engaged. It forces me to look up information, and that's how I absorb it.
  • Options
    Current and Emerging Technology, Risk Management, and Security Practices are all complete. Got three of my Cyberlaw assignments sitting in Taskstream, one more to go. I asked my mentor to enroll into the three remaining assignment-based courses, but he gave me some line about how if I don't finish by the end of the term, it'll go on my record as incomplete, and his boss doesn't want people in more than one class at a time, ect ect. Not digging this.... Three courses done within sixteen days of my start date, and there's concern I won't be able to finish three more courses in five and a half months? We'll see how next week's meeting goes, as I'll likely be done with Cyberlaw before then.....
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    When I was an undergrad at WGU, I would ask my mentor to open up the materials to me without enrolling me in the course. She always did, and I thought that was pretty common for other students as well. Once you are through the materials and ready to pass the exam, then they enroll you and you go for it. Ask your mentor to do this and don't let them give you the runaround. WGU advertises itself as a place to hurry up and spend less, so they need to help you do just that. Good luck.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got something similar; beyond your "required for the term" courses, they try to avoid having you moving additional courses up until you're within a couple days of completing them. For the undergraduate level, you can still access the materials though; is it different at the MS level?

Adding: Additionally they prefer to max at 2 courses being moved up at a time. My mentor accidentally moved up a course I didn't want yet when I was getting 2 promoted, and when I told her that one was next in my list anyway and could she promote the one she accidentally didn't, she didn't want to. She had to put in a request to have the mistaken class moved down. By the time it was de-moted, I'd already completed course 1, moved up and completed that third one, and immediately had her move the mistaken one BACK up so I could start working on it anyway. Nobody ever listens to Zathris icon_sad.gif
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Oh I can definitely see all of the course materials, which doesn't make it as big of a deal. The noly difference between being enrolled and not being enrolled is the ability to submit assignments to Taskstream. I can just write the assignments and save them though, so they're ready to go as soon as I get enrolled.

It's like they promote the school as being able to accelerate to save money, but once you're enrolled, they try to keep you slowed down hah.

Coursework update: I passed three of the Cyberlaw assignments, but the fourth one keeps getting kicked back. It's down to just one section, and the graders keep saying that the controls aren't sufficient. I swear, they have a list of specific controls they're looking for, and it doesn't matter how effective the ones you list are, if they aren't on their checklist, the assignment is wrong icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm also working on Vulnerability Assessment, got all three assignments sent back on the first go. Apparently if it says write a memo, they want an actual memo, not a paper describing the issue...... And I do not care for these powerpoint assignments, they are a pain. I'd much prefer to just write a few pages, than have to create slides....

After these courses, I have Disaster Recovery, Crypto, CEH, CHFI, and the Capstone to go. Definitley looking forward to starting on Crypto, so I can move away from writing assignments, and do some tests. I took the preassessment and got a 64%, so I feel pretty confident for the course (not a good score, but considering I haven't studied any of the materials, it's not bad).
  • Options
    Coursework update: Cyberlaw finally passed. That was a weird class. Coming from a law background, I thought it would be a cakewalk, but it definitely did not feel like any of my law courses. Also, Vulnerability Assessment came back complete as well. My revisions cleared no problem. I expected at least one to come back, but I guess I did well on them. On to Disaster Recovery, then it will be time for the fun stuff :D
  • Options
    So Crypto was much easier than expected. Took my pre-assessment again after having gone through some of the materials, and got an 83% this time around. Going to try to get the final exam scheduled for Friday, continue studying for a few days, and knock this out. That'll put me at seven courses done in two months. My new plan is to do CEH at the end of June, and CHFI at the end of July. Then dedicate the first week in August to plowing through the Capstone, and graduate in just one term. Craziness......
  • Options
    unknownposerunknownposer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for these posts, I am about to start this same program and your insights have eased my nerves about it.
  • Options
    If you're looking to get a little basic studying done before the program starts, try to find a CISSP training course. A lot that is covered in the CISSP translates over to these courses, and it will give you a good foundation to build on in the program.
  • Options
    unknownposerunknownposer Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good to know. I have already been working on CISSP related material for a while now. I am a previous WGU graduate so I am not able to sneak peak into the courses until the actual start date, so the anticipation of it is a bit unnerving.
  • Options
    There's nothing to be nervous about. The assignments in Taskstream can be a pain, but they're not difficult.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great progress, thanks for sharing your experience. This is very helpful. I have CISSP and working on OSCP now. Planning to work on this MS-CIA when I finish OSCP.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    The MSCIA has a few different courses, but even they look like they'll be at least somewhat aligned with the CISSP. And the OSCP might be helpful for the new ones as well. Good luck with the OSCP.
  • Options
    Emailed my mentor over twenty-four hours ago to approve me to schedule the final assessment for Cryptography. Still nothing. Also emailed him Friday asking for approval for the pre-assessment, didn't get the approval until Monday. Not very happy about this. This is supposed to be a program where you work at your own pace, but I'm being repeatedly delayed.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That kinda stinks. I feel your pain though I tried getting approval for Cryptography last week but didn't get it until today. I will end up taking this thing Sunday it looks like. Are you fairly confident in passing?
  • Options
    I want to get the thing scheduled for Friday, so I don't have to think about it over the weekend. I feel pretty confident on passing. 65% is all it takes to pass, so it shouldn't be too bad. I was able to breeze through the pre-assessment yesterday with an 83%. How about you?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    About the same. I took the preassessment about a week and a half ago and got a 70%. Did light study for a week and got an 85%.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck in your degree program!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    About the same. I took the preassessment about a week and a half ago and got a 70%. Did light study for a week and got an 85%.
    Nice. It was pretty easy getting the score up, the course is really tailored to the exam. As long as the final is the same way, it will be a breeze.
    Good luck in your degree program!! icon_thumright.gif
    Thanks. All the luck I need right now is for my mentor to approve the damn test so I can get it scheduled for this Friday, and stay on schedule.
  • Options
    Alright, I was able to get in touch with the course mentor, and she approved me to schedule it. But I couldn't select Friday.... I suppose Monday will have to do.
  • Options
    Passed the CEH yesterday. Starting work on the CHFI, then after that, all I'll have left is the Capstone. And I still have a full three months left on my first term...... Craziness.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's great progress! CHFI will be a breeze for you after CEH. CEH is kind of like CompTIA Security+: Kali Edition, and CHFI is kind of like CEH: Forensic-ish Edition.

I'll be enrolling into the MSCIA program within the next month or two. I may shoot you some PM's along the way, if you don't mind!