Options

Which path to take?

Hi all-

I am fairly new to the IT world, so I need some guidance. I have been pursuing my CompTIA certs and planned on doing the MCSE, CCNA, etc etc.

I have found that I really enjoy programming. I played around with a SQL lab and had SO MUCH FUN! Is it worth my time to finish up my N+ (Close to taking the test.) and then go for some SQL certs instead of following the path I am on? I want to get out of help desk, as I am getting bored of it.

Thoughts?

A+ certified
Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
Working on: Network+

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    You enjoyed SQL? Im envious, I couldnt get on that wagon. To answer your question, could you see yourself working with SQL in the future? Have you thought about becoming a DBA? I believe there are some Microsoft certs for SQL and you could pursue MCSA 2012 then transition to SQL specializations.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Network+ never hurts. Always good to have a 101-understanding of how networks work. DBA is a good role, keep digging deeper. I always like to inject a little bit of security into everybody, so I'd also say play around some with sqlmap: automatic SQL injection and database takeover tool too!
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    Thank you! Do you feel it is worth my while to continue and get my S+? Or should I switch gears as soon as I take my N+ and dive into DBA, programming, etc?

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you! Do you feel it is worth my while to continue and get my S+? Or should I switch gears as soon as I take my N+ and dive into DBA, programming, etc?

Net+,Sec+, are good to have an will only increase your knowledge of the fundamentals and also increase your versatility for job placements that might come your way. Basically the more knowledge and certs you have the more you are in control to choose your dream job. With that said, SQL is used basically everywhere now. If I was you I would look into the msca sql track, getthe fundamentals and the knowledge of what needs to be done on the server side prior to creating a DB, configuration, maintenance etc. This knowledge then you can use as a spring board to fully SQL db programming or development. There are many new jobs coming up in every company Business Intelligence(BI) one of the recent most well known once or Big Data analysis all require some sql programming knowledge.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Oh, and a good website to practice SQL code is SQLFiddle.com

I used that quite a bit doing my WGU SQL class and working with mySQL.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon