Options

Should I attempt the exam if I haven't mastered subnetting?

Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello! I am planing on taking the ICND 1 exam at the end of this month. However, I been having doubts as I haven't mastered subnetting completely yet. I can subnet class C networks and some class B networks.

I have been studying this for over a year now. Do you think I should attempt it anyways even if I don't end up mastering it completely?

Comments

• Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    Don't waste your bucks. Mastering Subnetting is one of the main objectives of ICND1. Subnetting is the basic that you need to be thorough on cause you might come into a situation where you need to analyze the situation basing on the addresses , so I would recommend you to master it before you take the exam. subnetting.net is one of the best sites to practice 30 minutes a day for 7 days would help you and 10 minutes per day for a month or so would help you master it and remember.

All the best you can do it..!
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out Chapter 4 in Todd Lammle's book for a quick and easy way to do subnetting. You can learn the binary way later(and you should imo). I agree with Nans, you should wait until you master subnetting. ICND1 is real heavy on it and you are risking going in there and getting hit with 5+ subnetting questions which could cost you the exam.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My colleague just took the ICND1 over the weekend and he said there was lots of subnetting.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool guys thanks for the advice! Another question I have is how much do they touch on VLSM? I took a look at it and it looked tricky to learn; might be due to the fact I haven't mastered subentting completely yet as that is what VLSM is based on.

Concentrating on subnetting so much made me worried I might not be paying enough attention to the other topics.
  • Options
    stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Yea, you'll want to get subnetting down before the attempt. Once you get the gist of it you can easily lock down 4-5 or more questions on the exam.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
  • Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    @=Raymond Mason;

well no one can tell you how much they stress. should be in the ICND1 blueprint how much they actually weigh in the exam. VLSM is easy once you get subnetting right. Just to give you a heads up its dividing the network into unequal parts rather dividing a network into equal parts. Its easy you just got to keep your calm and concentrate. If you go through this forum you see many question on subnetting, which should give you an idea of how important it is to master that.

As KOZ said Todd Lammle's book will help you learn it and some practice will keep you running.
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []
  • Options
    NVLadyNVLady Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely not. It's a huge part of the exam. My recommendation would be to be able to answer any subnetting question in your head before attempting the test. subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online was a big help for me.
  • Options
    satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    Is this a trick question ?

no subnetting no ccent
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say attempt the exam! That will force you to work hard on getting the main fundamentals down before the end of the month. Sometimes delaying makes things worse but it's really on you and how confident you feel. Remember, it's not all subnetting and CIDR notation but weaker domains will be exploited - most likely.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    NightEye00NightEye00 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I also did read forum topics about subnetting before I tried ICND1, I knew that I have to master this topic, otherwise I won't pass and that was the matter.
    I got about 6-7 subnetting questions out of 47.
    But keep your head up - once you mastered it, you can easily pick up some "bonus" points with these questions, at least I was absolutely happy when I saw that it will be a subnetting question :D

Good luck!