Options

New to Cisco certifications

KhaleyKhaley Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm completely new to certifications in this industry. Have only been working around IT for less than a year. I am getting more and more familiar with Cisco and have a strong desire to start learning and studying for my CCENT. Where do I even start?

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Get the CCENT books and start reading. :) Get on youtube and look at videos, get a feel for it.
  • Options
    KhaleyKhaley Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. Would you guys recommend to start with my CompTIAs before going down the Cisco path? As a foundation?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Get the CCENT book and see what you think, if it is a bit much for you (and there is no shame in that) you may need to look at the Network+ if you are at a more fundamental level - and this may be the case if you have <1 year experience.
  • Options
    SwaswaswaSwaswaswa Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are brand new to the industry with zero experience and/or training, I recommend you read a CompTIA Network+ book; then read CCENT/CCNA if you decide to take the Cisco route. Cisco currently dominates the market right now from what I've been told, but that does not mean you need to take said path. After you feel comfortable with Network+, do some research on certain vendors and see what is offered. Cisco to me is interesting and fun to learn, that's my opinion vs everyone else.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Khaley wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Would you guys recommend to start with my CompTIAs before going down the Cisco path? As a foundation?

Google for Professor Messer's Network+ course. (its on youtube).

Decent foundation stuff.
    Whether you go for the exam is a personal choice;
    but GET the foundation :]
  • Options
    mkazimkazi Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was in the same boat as you and actually skipped CCENT, however, i had taken a COLLEGE COURSE that prepared us for NETWORK+ cert and i got an A in the class and did well on all the labs. So i decided to jump directly into CCNA.
    I would recommend to give CompTIA's Network+ book a quick read so you have a basic understanding of Networking. If you feel quite comfortable with it then i would honestly jump into CCNA R&S.
    "No person is your friend. No person is your enemy. Every person is your teacher." -unknown

Goals 2016: CCNA Sec OR CCNP R&S