Options

4 Comptia Books and one CCNA - Is it possible?

Prolrnr2.0Prolrnr2.0 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
The Comptia books I have are:
Tamara Dean's Newtwork+ 5th and 7th ed.
Networking for Dummies (All in One)
Mike Meyer's Comptia A+ 9th ed.

The CCNA Book I have is CCNA for Dummies. With these books, would I be able to pass the CCNA exam?

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I feel that you have casted your net too wide...

Focus on CCENT, that is the entry level networking cert. I would look at the Odom Book or Lammle book.

Forget about CompTIA.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    lammlelammle Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, JockVSJock, yes, Prolnr2.0, you need more than what you have for sure. You need either my Sybex CompTIA Network+ book and/or Mike Myers Net+, but forget about A+ completely. That's a useless amount of time if you want a real networking job, unless your big goal in life is to work with Gekksquad at BestBuy.
    For CCENT/CCNA, with my Sybex CCENT and CCNA books and/or Cisco Press (Wendell Odom). The other books you have will not help you pass the Net+ or the CCENT and CCNA for that matter. All the books I mention are on amazon.com.
    Todd Lammle
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Just forget about CompTIA, they are overpriced and have no value.

Also check locally to see if there is a Cisco Network Academy. Also check out Chris Bryant, he puts out good content.

Looks like there is finally online training too that is not being put out by Cisco:

Cisco CCNA and CCNP Certification Training Classes Online by StormWind

http://www.ine.com/
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    I think there is.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, CompTIA is WAY over priced. For the cost of the Network+ you can take Cisco's ICND1 and ICND2 exams, or the Composite CCNA 200-120 Exam. The cost of A+, Network+ and Security+ is $994.00. Just shy of a grand. You can get your CCNA, CCNA Security and CCNP for $900.00. Almost $100.00 cheaper.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    I imagine your studying by yourself-if thats the case opt for straight ccna either two or one exam todd lammle book is one you need.Not sure of exam costs for comTiA etc but they would be pretty useless on time wasted.Also dont spend silly money on books,look at ebay and sorts or people who done ccna,they keep most of the books,but some who advance have no use for them thus Lab manuals can be gotten for little or free.rather see if you can buy lab for money that you would save instead,to practice.Also look for local colleges that offer the course,since as said some would have books to spare or courses for straight ccna,if networking is your IT direction to get in.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree comptia certs aren't a resume booster if you have experience and only worth if they're required like Security+ for some gov positions.

If you don't have experience, A+ is the most attractive cert on a resume. While CCNA is an entry-level cisco cert. In my experience most entry level networking positions were obtainable with A+ and jobs asking for CCNA require networking experience.

I'd suggest staying away from for dummies books, they do little to prepare you for the test.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Thank you for the clarification of why I should take the CCNA over Comptia. I think at this point I should clarify what the goal is. My goal is to first work for the NSA for a few years before moving onto the private industry for IT Security. Right now I'm working on my BA for Criminal Justice with my focus being Cyber Crime. On the side I plan on getting my certs and learning programming, which is going well. My question is with the books I currently have, if I read them all, would that be enough for me to pass the CCNA? Or would it be best for me to get different book/s all together? Maybe even a subscription to a technical book website.

Know what other Certs to have is great, but for a different thread all-together.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NSA will likely require A+ and Sec+ you'll have to look into it.

The books you have won't be enough. JockVsJock has good suggestions.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,050 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Prolrnr2.0 wrote: »
    Right now I'm working on my BA for Criminal Justice with my focus being Cyber Crime. On the side I plan on getting my certs and learning programming, which is going well.

So.... do you know how to fix a computer? Do you know whats on the inside?
    Do you already have an understanding of networking? dO you know the difference in a Switch and a Hub?

If Not, then i actually think the comptia curriculum is worthwhile.
    Professor Messer has good presentation.
  • Options
    User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go for what helps you progress and depending on what time you have. I went backwards on some certs because I had the funds to pay for it. Whatever you study, if there is a benefit to help you grow... go for it. As dumb as this may sound, I'll take A+ by the end of the year. One thing, going for your CCNA will help you crush N+. SEC+ will still be important regardless (so still study for that).
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer